Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: B Movie puzzle

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi all. This is my first posting so I thought I'd start you off with a difficult one. Remember those supporting films of yesteryear which in their own way were minor masterpieces... for instance, "Black Angel" which was the support to "The Empire Strikes Back"?. Well, although the quirky supporting film I'm thinking of was probably nowhere near as good as Black Angel, it remains a thorn in my side to find out more about it. We are talking around 1974 and my only recollection is of a hit man sitting in a cafe just prior to him carrying through his next assignment (location probably London). Next scene is of him entering a building and ascending the staircase to a second floor flat. This is where it gets even more hazy!... he remains in the flat for a while but is finally discovered and is chased back down the stairwell by a teenage girl - in slow motion now the camera pulls back to reveal the camera and sound crew on the stairwell as the menacing girl now turns her attentions to them! I told you it was quirky! Don't know the title of the short or the director but it obviously stuck in my mind. Trigger any memories for anyone?

Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Liked
    143 times
    I don't know what film it was either, but I remember a bunch of friends of mine saw it as a support for something in the late 70s. I was struck at the time that if she turned round and massacred the camera crew on camera there would have to be another camera crew filming that, so why didn't she shoot them too...?

Sorry i can't be more help.

Liked
    0 times
    name='Rowdon']I don't know what film it was either, but I remember a bunch of friends of mine saw it as a support for something in the late 70s. I was struck at the time that if she turned round and massacred the camera crew on camera there would have to be another camera crew filming that, so why didn't she shoot them too...?

Sorry i can't be more help.

Thanks for that Rowdon. At least somebody else is on the same planet as me and can remember something of my hazy, but sadly incomplete, recollection.

Senior Member Country: UK rose ellen's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    I think I saw this film in the 70`s when I went to the cinema to see something else.It sounds very familier but in the one I remember the hitman was lodging in a house oppisite where his victim was and while he was out a child living in the house found a machine gun in his room and started killing people.The bit you describe on the stairwell sounds the same but the girl was about 10 and had a chilling smile on her face as she kills people.I have been trying to find out what it was for years, I think it had a simple title like The Hitman or The Assassin.I saw it with either Performance,The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane or a film called The Driver.

Liked
    0 times
    There was a short film out at the cinemas in 1974, supporting 'Little Big Man' called "Un Homme Est Mort", translated as "The Outside Man" which sounds similar to your description:

"The Outside Man" is one of those films that I would classify as a "guilty pleasure." I first saw it as a child of eleven on the second half of a double bill with "Little Big Man" at a retro drive-in in 1974. This is exactly the type of film my parents would have walked out on in fifteen minutes, since my Dad is a strict law-and-order type and likes films where there are good guys and bad guys and the good guys win. Lucky for me, this film played FIRST, so they were stuck sitting through it. I, for one, loved it because it was fast-paced and action-packed (and very violent) and couldn't have cared less that everyone in it was a crook. (I still don't.) It's one of my favorite films of the '70's and remains one I watch again and again.

"The Outside Man"'s plot is simple: A French hit man (Jean-Louis Trantignant) travels to Los Angeles to kill a mobster. Upon completion of his assignment, he returns to his hotel to find he has been checked out and that his belongings (wallet and passport included) are gone. Upon leaving the hotel, he is ambushed by an American assassin (played with icy menace by Roy Scheider, a million miles from his "Jaws" sheriff), who has obviously been hired to kill him. After an exciting chase through the streets of L.A., and a brief respite in the apartment of a dippy widow and her smart-aleck son ("The Mary Tyler Moore Show"'s Georgia Engel and a very young Jackie Earle Haley), he contacts his boss and is told to find the boss's ex-moll Nancy Robson (Ann-Margret). He meets her in a topless bar and she agrees to help him get the hell out of Dodge. This sets up a series of chases and shootouts as she tries to help him leave town while he dodges Scheider's bullets.

Hope this helps.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    I recall the film as a supporting feature in the 70's that Yakima is referring to, a middle-aged woman with a european accent was a secret agent, looked a bit like a man, I think one line she spoke was "I memorised everything of importance", London was the setting, I think there was a Volvo PS1800 in it like 'The Saint' drove, I remember the 'massacre' on the steps of the Apartment block that pans to the Film-crew who are also assasinated...........I'm darned if I recall the title though!

Liked
    0 times
    name='Mark O']I recall the film as a supporting feature in the 70's that Yakima is referring to, a middle-aged woman with a european accent was a secret agent, looked a bit like a man, I think one line she spoke was "I memorised everything of importance", London was the setting, I think there was a Volvo PS1800 in it like 'The Saint' drove, I remember the 'massacre' on the steps of the Apartment block that pans to the Film-crew who are also assasinated...........I'm darned if I recall the title though!

Thanks for trying Mark O.

Liked
    0 times
    name='rose ellen']I think I saw this film in the 70`s when I went to the cinema to see something else.It sounds very familier but in the one I remember the hitman was lodging in a house oppisite where his victim was and while he was out a child living in the house found a machine gun in his room and started killing people.The bit you describe on the stairwell sounds the same but the girl was about 10 and had a chilling smile on her face as she kills people.I have been trying to find out what it was for years, I think it had a simple title like The Hitman or The Assassin.I saw it with either Performance,The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane or a film called The Driver.

Although I don't think the supporting film I am referring to is quite the same as yours The Driver is certainly a film I did go to see and is around the same time period. I think however, that "The Driver" was paired with "Gone In 60 Seconds" which made for a terrific double bill.

Liked
    80 times
    Think this is The Anna Contract (1978).

More here:

The Anna Contract (1978) @ EOFFTV

E.

Super Moderator Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    Well done Euryale, looks spot on. Who's your avatar, btw???

Liked
    80 times
    name='penfold']Well done Euryale, looks spot on. Who's your avatar, btw???

Thanks, Penfold!

That is the American singer and actress Helen Morgan who appeared in early films such as Applause

E.

Senior Member Country: UK Mr Sloane's Avatar
    Liked
    239 times
    name='Euryale']Thanks, Penfold!

That is the American singer and actress Helen Morgan who appeared in early films such as Applause

E.

My Goodness I did n't recognise her I thought she was superb in Showboat.

Liked
    7 times
    And the James Whale 'Showboat', one of the two US musicals I actually enjoy.....should have recognised her. Cheers....

Liked
    80 times
    name='Mr Sloane']My Goodness I did n't recognise her I thought she was superb in Showboat.

Yes, I would imagine that she was quite young when this picture was taken, although of course she was only 41 when she died.

Very attractive lady, along with another favourite of mine from the early era, Mae Marsh:

E.

Liked
    1 times
    This is the same film that I have been wanting to see again for ages.I don`t suppose anyone knows if it is available anywhere?I have just looked and can`t find it.

Liked
    80 times
    name='rose ellen']This is the same film that I have been wanting to see again for ages.I don`t suppose anyone knows if it is available anywhere?I have just looked and can`t find it.

Hi Rose Ellen,

I think it's really sad that so many of these short films appear to be generally unavailable - I'm sure there would be a market for them.

The director, David Percy, is still very much around - there is a short bio of him here - Anna gets a mention:

AULIS Online – Different Thinking

E.

Liked
    7 times
    name='Euryale']

Very attractive lady, along with another favourite of mine from the early era, Mae Marsh:

E.

Superb actress, although relatively - and unfairly - forgotten compared to her Griffith contemporaries Mary Pickford and the Gish sisters. Make no mistake, in terms of talent, she was their equal.

She made two films opposite Ivor Novello; Griffiths' criminally underrated The White Rose (Which would be drasticallly improved by losing the Carol Dempster subplot) and the original and best The Rat, here in the UK, and one assumes because Ivor cast her himself.

Liked
    0 times
    name='Euryale']Think this is The Anna Contract (1978).

More here:

The Anna Contract (1978) @ EOFFTV

E.

Thanks for that Euryale - I think you are right! The film, it would seem, was picked up as a support to a main feature which MAY have been 'The Driver' (before it was later paired with 'Gone In 60 Seconds' as a double bill). Any further thoughts, as I can't seem to nail down what 'The Anna Contract' was the support to? Many thanks for your help.

Liked
    80 times
    name='yakima']

Thanks for that Euryale - I think you are right! The film, it would seem, was picked up as a support to a main feature which MAY have been 'The Driver' (before it was later paired with 'Gone In 60 Seconds' as a double bill). Any further thoughts, as I can't seem to nail down what 'The Anna Contract' was the support to? Many thanks for your help.

Glad to have found the answer for you and I've found a bit more from a publication called Film Making from 1978, which mentions one of the films Anna was released with:

'The Anna Contract was produced as an amateur film on 16mm for a couple of thousand pounds. It was an award winner at the 1978 London Amateur Film Festival but then it was suddenly withdrawn from the amateur circuit and sold to one of the big distributors as a second feature to The Stud'.

The Stud of all things!

E.

Liked
    1 times
    "'Quote:

The Anna Contract was produced as an amateur film on 16mm for a couple of thousand pounds. It was an award winner at the 1978 London Amateur Film Festival but then it was suddenly withdrawn from the amateur circuit and sold to one of the big distributors as a second feature to The Stud'.

The Stud of all things!"

So thats what I saw it with.I saw The Stud in 1978 because I thought Oliver Tobias was gorgeous so I went to see it even though it wasn`t the sort of film I would usually go and see.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast