Thread: What I Miss

Senior Member Country: UK Freddy's Avatar
    Liked
    243 times
    On Sunday mornings the gentle, rhythm sound of the old push lawnmower.

Freddy

Senior Member Country: Scotland narabdela's Avatar
    Liked
    20 times
    name='Freddy']On Sunday mornings the gentle, rhythm sound of the old push lawnmower.

Freddy

As long as someone else was doing the pushing!

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    In the days before shift work and TBW came along ..... a Sunday morning lie-in, followed by a leisurely breakfast with the radio on and then a bit of time reading a good book. A wander down to the pub for lunch and a drink followed by an afternoon nap.

Senior Member Country: Australia ShirlGirl's Avatar
    Liked
    199 times
    Oh yes, Sunday lunch in an English pub!

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    name='Freddy']On Sunday mornings the gentle, rhythm sound of the old push lawnmower.

Freddy

I do not share your love of the old push lawnmower Freddy.

I remember visiting an old uncle of mine in England who was ill at the time and offering to do his lawn for him.

Of course the push lawnmower is great on flat ground with small tufts of grass to cut.

Little did I know that uncle's garden was NOT flat but lumpy, ran uphill and had not been mowed for months.

Not surprisingly, the whole experience left me totally knackered.

Dave.

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    name='ShirlGirl']Oh yes, Sunday lunch in an English pub!

Now you're talking!

Dave.

Senior Member Country: UK Matron Whippy's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Customer service with smiles and manner's. Good T.V programmes.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    Blue Milk vending machines and being able to ascent The Post Office Tower as it was once called, I recall the excitement of visiting when a kid which probably gave me my lifelong obsession of wanting to be up high, then a flippin' Bomb goes and puts paid to it all.........grrrr!

Liked
    0 times
    Freddy,

You should come and live next to me. At least that would get rid of the pillock who rents the house and every Sunday morning mows the front garden with just such an implement!

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    name='Mark O']Blue Milk vending machines and being able to ascent The Post Office Tower as it was once called, I recall the excitement of visiting when a kid which probably gave me my lifelong obsession of wanting to be up high, then a flippin' Bomb goes and puts paid to it all.........grrrr!

i was at the top of the BT tower about 5 years or so ago-the company i work for made the backlighted BT logo banner and i had to repair minor damage-i had to have passport id for security and sit through a bloody 2hr health and safety induction but once up there the view was superb but absolutely freezing!

i read somewhere that until fairly recently, the BT tower had no address and didn't officially exist?

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='jaycad']i read somewhere that until fairly recently, the BT tower had no address and didn't officially exist?
    I love these urban myths

It always existed, ever since it was built.

The Royal Mail knows it as:

British Telecom

Telephone Exchange

60 Cleveland Street

LONDON

W1T 4JZ

Maybe that's how the myth started, because it's not listed as the Post Office Tower, or the BT Tower

Steve

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    name='Steve Crook']I love these urban myths

It always existed, ever since it was built.

The Royal Mail knows it as:

British Telecom

Telephone Exchange

60 Cleveland Street

LONDON

W1T 4JZ

Maybe that's how the myth started, because it's not listed as the Post Office Tower, or the BT Tower

Steve

i remember where i heard that myth now-it was on that adam hart davis london programme! probably the same episode with the pub (the mitre?) which had a cambridge postcode until 1978 therefore was under the jurisdiction of cambridge police!

Liked
    243 times
    David and Luke

Strangely I started this thread as on Sunday morrning both neighbours started mowing lawns with electric whining machines, loathe them.

Freddy

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    name='Freddy']David and Luke

Strangely I started this thread as on Sunday morrning both neighbours started mowing lawns with electric whining machines, loathe them.

Freddy

I hate mowing the lawn but it's one of those jobs that has to be done, admittedly powered Mowers are much noisier than they once were, more powerful engines I guess, on a Sunday I'll wait until the stroke of 9am before doing any 'noisy' Gardening jobs, but looking on the 'glass half-full' side of things and my own family history there's plenty of Deaf persons in the World who would dearly love to hear a Lawnmower at any time of day.

Liked
    243 times
    name='Mark O']I hate mowing the lawn but it's one of those jobs that has to be done, admittedly powered Mowers are much noisier than they once were, more powerful engines I guess, on a Sunday I'll wait until the stroke of 9am before doing any 'noisy' Gardening jobs, but looking on the 'glass half-full' side of things and my own family history there's plenty of Deaf persons in the World who would dearly love to hear a Lawnmower at any time of day.

True, but isn't the gentle rhythm of a push mower far more meditative than the others. . . .Zen and the Art of Mower Maintentance.

Freddy

Liked
    0 times
    name='Mark O']Blue Milk vending machines and being able to ascent The Post Office Tower as it was once called, I recall the excitement of visiting when a kid which probably gave me my lifelong obsession of wanting to be up high, then a flippin' Bomb goes and puts paid to it all.........grrrr!

I too remember visiting the BT Tower as a child. It was in 1971. The sky was so clear on that day that you could see Windsor Castle, which reminds me that during that same year I remember, on a primary school outing, visiting this castle and being fascinated by ascending the steps to the top of the castle tower - this was also closed to the public - don't know whether it still is.