Thread: Obsession

Liked
    0 times
    I saw a film a while back which probably a 1940' or 1950's B&W film. It shows quite a few scenes of bombed out buildings. I only saw the last half but the Doctor husband holds his wife's lover captive in the cellar of a bombed out building. He then transports some sort of acid/chemical in a hot water bottle and proceeds to fill up the bath over many weeks or months. The plan being to dispose of the lover in acid with no trace.

The plan is foiled by the wife's dog escaping and somehow finding its way to the captive lover. He then manages to train the dog to pull the plug out of the bath thereby causing the acid to leak out of the bath. Can't remember the ending though!

It sounds a pretty fanciful plot but it was actually quite interesting to watch!

Any information would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Nick

Liked
    0 times
    Is it Edward Dmytryck's Obsession (1949)?

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    It's definitely Obsession - and happily it's [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Obsession-DVD-Robert-Newton/dp/B0002SCZAI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1245647548&sr=1-2"]available on dvd[/ame] (and they even managed to get the name of one of the cast members right on the box ). It has a great ending too.

Liked
    0 times
    That's the one! Very good. I recognised the actor playing the Doctor immediately but strangely didn't recognise the actress playing his wife. I can now put in on my list of films to buy.

Thanks