Thread: TV Series

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Can anyone remember a documentary type series I think it was BBC Bristol and was probably from the 90s or 80s.

It concerned a a group of families who agreed to go back in time and were taken to a remote area in England where they had to survive as their forefathers had done and be self sufficient. I think they were left out of touch with the real world for about 6 to12 months. There only concession to the modern world was a telephone only to be used in an emergency and a doctor was also available to deal with any illness etc.

Some of the families were unable to stand the hardships especially in winter and left during the course of the series.

I am sure someone will remember it.

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    How far back did they go? The first of this type of show was Living in the Past where they pretended to be in an Iron Age settlement. There was a sequel including the now grown-up children.

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Looks like you're the one who's right, Captain - it even says BBC Bristol in the link.

I thought I was a prolific viewer!

(Do I actually have anything to offer in this section of the Forum?)

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you. Yes that was it. It was repeated once at thetime buti dont think it has ever been shown again

Senior Member Country: UK LocalHero's Avatar
    Liked
    2 times
    I seem to remember it being shown in the last few months on BBC Four.

This may mean it's likely to pop up again the not-too-distant future as BBC Four tends to repeat things a lot.

I'm not saying this in a negative way, as it's the channel I probably watch most on TV these days....

Super Moderator Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    There was a follow-up documentary series recently that went back to the survivors of various Fly-On-the-Wall series of the seventies, including Living in The Past, filmed at Butser Hill, and another on a hippy commune based around a band. They may have repeated an episode of the original series, but not the whole caboodle.

There was also the more recent one that introduced us to Ben Fogle, Castaway 2000, which although wasn't Iron Age based, was similarly frugal and had people not staying the course..