Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi everyone. I have been trying for many years to find a movie I saw about 30-35 years ago, when I was very young.

I remember it involving a rural community (possibly in Scotland) that was being rampaged by some kind of monster/alien that sucked the bones out of a body (even did it to a horse).

Somehow or other, the locals managed to kill it, which led to the final two scenes. Firstly a man said "thank god this happened in a small/remote area", or something similar, which was followed by the final short scene of a Chinese scientist discovering one!

I probably watched this in 1975 at the very latest, while my parents were out, and my brother let me stay up late (so I would get scared lol), and even then it seemed like an old film.

Any help would be massively appreciated.

Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    I believe it is Island of Terror.

Liked
    0 times
    I am totally stunned by your quick response. I have been trying to get the name of this film for many many years.

This seems to be the exact film I am looking for, albeit that I thought it was a different country, and it was B and W lol.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    It could be Fiend Without A Face ..... bone sucking monster ravages Canadian village (and it's animals) in black and white, but is defeated by the bloke from Daktari.

It is a Brit film and was filmed in the UK.

Senior Member Country: England mallee59's Avatar
    Liked
    8 times
    it is island of terror, with prof karswell in it too....niall macguinness....

Liked
    0 times
    I have ordered and now got my copy of this film.

Oddly though, rather than being scared witless (as I was as a child), it now seems very mild, and the monsters sucking noise is laughable!

Thanks for the help in naming this film.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    I can't help but agree - Fiend Without a Face is much better, if you fancy giving it a try.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    Not sure which version of ISLAND OF TERROR you've ordered - but be aware that most of them are cut. The uncut version shows Peter Cushing's hand actually being chopped off.

Stephen Laws

The Midnight Man: The Official Website of the author Stephen Laws

Liked
    7 times
    Not sure which version of ISLAND OF TERROR you've ordered - but be aware that most of them are cut. The uncut version shows Peter Cushing's hand actually being chopped off.

Its the German DVD which is uncut - the UK DD DVD (and the french one I think) are cut. Older US VHS prints are also uncut.

Producer Richard Gordon has some interesting coments about this hand lopping shot in a recent edition of Video Watchdog. He said he thought the f/x were poor and Terence Fisher agreed and they tried to take the shot out (at least for the US release). However, the distributors overruled and put it back in - he expresses amazement that the MPAA let it through which is why its always been included on US prints (the BBFC insisted on its removal from the UK print which is why it is missing from the DD release).

Senior Member Country: UK Joe Fraguela's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    From my film poster collection here is a good opportunity for me to post the UK quad poster for Island of Terror (1966)

[IMG][/IMG]

Liked
    4 times
    "They've got no bones!!" An old favourite of mine, this. My cousin Vivienne found it unintentionally hilarious. But then again, she's like that. Watching horror with her when we were both teens could be quite a challenge, but 25 years later on, now she's in Australia with her hubby and seven hundred children, I miss her. I've never forgotten the night my brother and I wound her up by pretending that the statue at the bottom of the stairs in HOUSE OF THE LONG SHADOWS jumps out at the end and eats Desi Arnaz Jr...