Thread: Actresses

Liked
    0 times
    Hello Everyone,

Thanks for the site. I look forward to exploring it. Perhaps one of you could help me. I'm trying to think of a British character actress from the old school who portrayed stalwart, British, working class, stiff- upper-lip, but warm-hearted characters.

Specifically we're doing a reading of The Hound of the Baskervilles, and the part is Eliza Barrymore, the servant wife whose brother is the convict Selden. She and her husband put out food for him and she has a tender speech about how he may be a convict to the rest of the world, but will always be her little brother. Any ideas who would have been a good role model for her? I want to give my actors some examples of straightforward, pre-neurotic acting.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Check out Gladys Henson ..... especially her performance as Mrs Dixon in The Blue Lamp.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    Stiff upper-lip and working class?..........difficult one there, I wholeheartedly agree with Bats choice of Gladys, she's worth checking out in 'The Leather Boys', and 'The Magnet' also.

Freda Jackson could be a contender though she wasn't really Turban and Pinny, as Thora Hird

Super Moderator Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    Kathleen Harrison, in one of her straighter roles??? Or Muriel George, as in Went The Day Well ???

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Here's Freda as housekeeper Mrs. Evans in the last episode of the series The Smile Behind The Veil:

In case you're wondering, that's George Howe in the background. I suppose I should post this again at 'Forgotten Character Players' in the near future, along with some minor detail.

Senior Member Country: England John Llewellyn Moxey's Avatar
    Liked
    45 times
    name='penfold']Kathleen Harrison, in one of her straighter roles??? Or Muriel George, as in Went The Day Well ???

I believe it is Muriel George.

John

Liked
    202 times
    name='cornershop15']Here's Freda as housekeeper Mrs. Evans in the last episode of the series The Smile Behind The Veil:

In case you're wondering, that's George Howe in the background. I suppose I should post this again at 'Forgotten Character Players' in the near future, along with some minor detail.

Yes please Cornershop, in that pic freda has a look of Dandy Nichols about her, another actress to consider, working class but not common, any more pics of Freda would be great.

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    How about Beatrice Varley, who often played reliable types and matriarchs with a firm grip on the family, but a kind heart beneath...

Smudge

Liked
    1 times
    name='cornershop15']Here's Freda as housekeeper Mrs. Evans in the last episode of the series The Smile Behind The Veil:

From The Smile Behind The Veil. The episode wasn't named after her character then?

Can't really see Freda as someone having a "kind heart", approach. Mind you, I've only seen her in Great Expectations and the 1st episode of Adam Adamant, where she played the rather butch criminal boss.

Liked
    1 times
    Hermione Baddeley, Brighton Rock and Passport to Pimlico, good examples.

Liked
    177 times
    name='HUGHJAMPTON']From The Smile Behind The Veil. The episode wasn't named after her character then?

No, Hugh, it was none other than my darling Hilary Tindall:

Freda played a loyal housekeeper

name='HUGHJAMPTON']Can't really see Freda as someone having a "kind heart", approach. Mind you, I've only seen her in Great Expectations and the 1st episode of Adam Adamant, where she played the rather butch criminal boss.

Oddly enough, those are the only other roles I associate her with as well. She was great fun in the latter. It was the first episode as well. IMDB says not, but I could have sworn Freda was the secretary who gave Michael Caine directions in The Ipcress File (as opposed to Lisa Langdon who probably caused a few e-rections as Hunter's secretary in Callan).

I have seen some of Freda's other films - Bhowani Junction, Tom Jones, The Third Secret - but can't recall her. Haven't seen them for 20 years, however.

EDIT - With help from both IMDB and especially Rex Features, I can tell you that the bearded man in that capture is Peter Jesson. If you type in his name, you will see other stills from the R & H episode, including the above funeral scene.

Liked
    1 times
    Hilary Tindall, much more pleasant to look at: Thanks CS

Checking IMDB, for Freda, I have seen more films with her than I thought. A Canterbury Tale, Greyfriars Bobby and Tom Jones. I shall have to check them out again, at some time

Cheers

Liked
    177 times
    I agree about Hilary and have just posted that dramatic capture again at her thread.

I've just found some fantastic pictures of Freda at Rex Features, Hugh. In one of them, she's with another cult favourite of mine - Gary Watson! Most of the photos are from Great Expectations but there are also a few of her with Patrick McGoohan in a 1961 TV play called Sergeant Musgrave's Dance. Does McGoohan fan Moor Larkin (one of the late actor's character names) know much about this production?

Senior Member Country: UK jonpsych's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    What about Angela Baddeley especially her portrayal of Mrs Bridges, the cook, in Upstairs Downstairs. She seems to fit exactly what you need firm (when scolding Ruby) but with a very kind heart

Liked
    202 times
    Marianne Stone has played many many different 'types' of Women in the numerous Films she has appeared in, all be it mainly bit parts; yelling out of the window like a Fish-wife to a Detective-Sargeant in 'Lost', then a snooty Hairdresser looking down her Nose at Amy in 'Woman in a Dressing Gown'.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    1 times
    Not old but how about Mrs Hudson from the Granada Holmes series:

http://www.sherlockholmes.se/images/rosalie_hudson.jpg