Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked
    0 times

Terrific war film starring Hardy Kruger. One of my favourite war films. What do you think?

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    one of my all time favs too. Seen it hundreds of times. Great film to watch on a cold winters day in front of the fire

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    It was based on a book of course, and that makes excellent reading. It was amazing now to see that when he arrived in the States, the Nazi diplomats managed to get him through the US and across the Mexican border. In view of the FBI's clampdown on Nazi activists before Pearl Harbor, it akes it all the more remarkable.

Liked
    0 times
    However, he survived for less than a year when he got back to Germany. He was shot down and his body never recovered.

Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CaineFan
    Terrific war film starring Hardy Kruger. One of my favourite war films. What do you think?
    I agree with you. It’s an excellent, suspenseful film... the sequence on the ice at the end is riveting. On a more irrelevant note, I can’t get over how boyishly handsome Hardy Kruger is in this role. You’d hardly recognize him as the same person in Flight of the Phoenix. (Of course, the make-up department had something to do with it.)

Here are some pictures of Kruger as Oberleutnant Franz Von Werra.

“Hello R.A.F.”

First escape plan has hit a snag.

Trying an immense bluff.

It didn’t work.

Senior Member Country: Europe Bernardo's Avatar
    Liked
    13 times
    Yes I think the star made the picture work really well. He was in a Oxbridge University film as well I remember he was a good looker in that too with the girls swooning, Bachelor Of Hearts was the title, I think. Unfair world. What happened to him?

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    The book is an excellent read as has been said. I find it now more remarkable that the FBI did not manage to seize him and hold him as Hoover was at the time rounding-up Nazi activists.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Automotivehistorian
    The book is an excellent read as has been said. I find it now more remarkable that the FBI did not manage to seize him and hold him as Hoover was at the time rounding-up Nazi activists.
    Well the real Franz von Werra was a good looking lad (not as handsome as Hardy Kr�ger, but quite good looking)

And J Eddie Hoover was partial to smartly dressed, handsome young men

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernardo
    Yes I think the star made the picture work really well. He was in a Oxbridge University film as well I remember he was a good looker in that too with the girls swooning, Bachelor Of Hearts was the title, I think. Unfair world. What happened to him?
    I’ve heard that several British actors were considered for the lead, before Hardy Kruger was cast. I don’t think that would have worked at all... kudos to whoever made the decision to cast Kruger.

He’s still alive... and I think living in Germany.

Besides knowing German and English, he’s also very proficient in French, and starred in some French films – Les Dimanches de Ville d'Avray being an example.

He was featured prominently in the 2002 documentary Von Werra (2002)

Thanks for mentioning Bachelor of Hearts (1958) Looks like it was made immediately after Kruger’s success in The One That Got Away. Sylvia Syms is one of “the girls.” (Hopefully there's a tread for it...)

Senior Member Country: Germany Hummies's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Great screencaps, cecily cardew! Haven't seen "The One That Got Away" yet, but maybe we'll manage one day!

But did see "Bachelor of Hearts" many years ago. Wanted to see it again ever since, but missed the re-run on German TV last month.

Hardy Kr�ger wrote a couple of books since the 1970s, many of them center around his experiences made during his travels to all kinds of places. He also owned a farm in Tansania (Africa). We've bought one of his books called "Wanderjahre", kind of autobiography - great read!

He even had his own show on German TV for quite some years called "Weltenbummler" (globetrotter). His son Hardy Kr�ger, jr. is also an actor often seen on TV here nowadays. He looks a lot like his father.

Best regards,

Hummies

Liked
    0 times
    Hello Hummies, glad you liked the screen caps. Hopefully you�ll get a chance to see the film sometime ... and catch "Bachelor of Hearts" again. (Perhaps you recollect it well enough now to start a thread for it?)

Very interesting information, thank you for sharing it! I�ll have to keep an eye out for those books... they sound quite intriguing.

I did an images search, and I definitely agree - they do have a marked resemblance to each other. (Allowing. of course, for age.)

Equal regards,

Cecily C.

Hardy Kr�ger Sr. and Hardy Kr�ger Jr.

Senior Member Country: Germany Hummies's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    We're afraid our recollection of "Bachelor of Hearts" is not good enough to give it an own thread. Just recall that Hardy played a German student at a British university and had to deal with a handful of girls at the same time, which put him into difficult situations, all culminating in a party at the end where he tried to entertain them all separately, but simultaneously... Don't know the details why or wherefore anymore, but it was fun to watch.

Best regards,

Hummies

Senior Member Country: England AdobeFlats's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    BTW, the British Writer/Comedian Peter Cook is seen in a couple of scenes in B.o.H. He was attending Cambridge University at the time. At the beginning of the film, the immigration officer viewing H.K's passport mistakenly refers to Cambridge as 'The Dreaming Spires', a point on which H.K's character corrects him.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AdobeFlats
    BTW, the British Writer/Comedian Peter Cook is seen in a couple of scenes in B.o.H. He was attending Cambridge University at the time. At the beginning of the film, the immigration officer viewing H.K's passport mistakenly refers to Cambridge as 'The Dreaming Spires', a point on which H.K's character corrects him.
    Is that like the test they used to give people suspected of being German spies during the war? They asked them what the second verse of the National Anthem was. No British people knew it but with Teutonic efficiency the German spies were all taught it

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    I quite like the bit when he's trying to escape in Lancashire; the filming reminds me of Hitchcock's version of The 39 Steps.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hummies
    We're afraid our recollection of "Bachelor of Hearts" is not good enough to give it an own thread. Just recall that Hardy played a German student at a British university and had to deal with a handful of girls at the same time, which put him into difficult situations, all culminating in a party at the end where he tried to entertain them all separately, but simultaneously... Don't know the details why or wherefore anymore, but it was fun to watch.

Best regards,

Hummies
    Well, thanks for sharing the memories and recommendation. And here are a few more pictures, in return!

Forced to land.

Planning to escape.

Planning another escape.

Half-frozen during last escape.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil1889
    I quite like the bit when he's trying to escape in Lancashire; the filming reminds me of Hitchcock's version of The 39 Steps.
    I can certainly see some of the similarities!

Thanks for the screencaps cecily cardew!

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mervyn2's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    Having watched this as a young lad in the sixties and never forgotten the suspense and my surprise at wanting a German to escape, I watched it again yesterday. It's a very good film in my view, with some wonderful performances almost (only almost, mind) devoid of the usual stereotyping. I was pleased to discover the suspense was still there and I still wanted him to escape... :)

Liked
    0 times
    I'm fortunate enough to have the book of this film which includes stills from the film also as well as pictures of the real Von Werra. The book was published sometime in the 1950s.
    It is a great film which I've watched many times but I'm not too convinced with the part where Von Werra is based in the second POW camp (after escaping from Grisedale Hall) and he and some other prisoners tunnel out. It just seems a bit far fetched that the guards wouldn't know the prisoners singing and dancing was to cover the noise of the digging and their escape seems almost too easy. This, to me is a low point in the film. It picks up afterwards of course when he is shipped to Canada.

Senior Member Country: UK Flare Players's Avatar
    Liked
    2 times
    I think a lot of the film's appeal comes from a terrific star turn by Hardy Kruger. He absolutely dominates the film which is why for the next 15 years he was cast in many Hollywood and international productions because of that star appeal he has.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast