Senior Member Country: England Maurice's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    Daily Telegraph last Wednesday: David Hockney interviewed by Bruno Wollheim.

He had "unprecedented access" to the artist for the new TV film:

"Hockney is still obsessed by SECRET KNOWLEDGE, to which he devoted two years of his life in the aftermath of his mother's death in 1999.

"The book and film were controversial, arguing that, for the past 500 years, artists in the West had used lenses and mirrors to aid their work, so presenting the world in photographic terms.

"Most art historians poured scorn on his researches, but fellow artists tended to agree with him...

"What Hockney protects is the child-like centre to his art and inspiration; and in turn it protects him.

"His genius is a graphic gift, to do with the essence of drawing, placement and mark. He is mistrustful of it, in case it offers too easy solutions. There lies the apparent ease of the art but not of the artist.

"Hockney let me in, he moved the curtain aside, and it wasn't easy for him or me. But what a journey, what a ride, what an adventure!"

link - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/a...r-Picture.html

Liked
    1 times
    name='Maurice']Daily Telegraph last Wednesday: David Hockney interviewed by Bruno Wollheim.

He had "unprecedented access" to the artist for the new TV film:

"Hockney is still obsessed by SECRET KNOWLEDGE, to which he devoted two years of his life in the aftermath of his mother's death in 1999.

"The book and film were controversial, arguing that, for the past 500 years, artists in the West had used lenses and mirrors to aid their work, so presenting the world in photographic terms.

"Most art historians poured scorn on his researches, but fellow artists tended to agree with him...

"What Hockney protects is the child-like centre to his art and inspiration; and in turn it protects him.

"His genius is a graphic gift, to do with the essence of drawing, placement and mark. He is mistrustful of it, in case it offers too easy solutions. There lies the apparent ease of the art but not of the artist.

"Hockney let me in, he moved the curtain aside, and it wasn't easy for him or me. But what a journey, what a ride, what an adventure!"

If, Hockney's theory is right, I still don't see what the fuss is about, where art historians are concerned. The use of mirrors, did not, apply the colour to the painting.

Secret Knowledge, was an excellent programme, btw, and well worth a repeat.