Roosevelt

Sir Anthony Parsons

D.

And Siegfried Farnon, of course.

Nick

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    2 times
    name='Nick Dando']And Siegfried Farnon, of course.

Nick

Hardy played Churchill three times and Roosevelt twice - does that add up his score? Also someone called Lord Rivers in The Tichbourne Claimant who I assume was a real person.

D.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    name='dylan']Hardy played Churchill three times and Roosevelt twice - does that add up his score? Also someone called Lord Rivers in The Tichbourne Claimant who I assume was a real person.

D.

I think The Rules Section 3 para 4 quite clearly state that you only get one point per person however many times you play him. It's tricky with films based on real events because you can't be sure if all the characters are real. Don't think you can get Hardy into the Gielgud/Plummer/Hopkins class though

Liked
    13 times
    cornershop, I don't want to get into a huge religious debate (famous last words) and I would not describe myself as a Christian, but do you doubt even the existence of Jesus ?

Is this a common feeling ? Avoiding all the Son of God stuff (hard for some I know) - I had always thought that there was this person called Jesus, he caused a whole heap of friction and as a result, was crucified. Is there a school of thought that the whole story is fabrication ?

Liked
    492 times
    name='billy bentley']cornershop, I don't want to get into a huge religious debate (famous last words) and I would not describe myself as a Christian, but do you doubt even the existence of Jesus ?

Is this a common feeling ? Avoiding all the Son of God stuff (hard for some I know) - I had always thought that there was this person called Jesus, he caused a whole heap of friction and as a result, was crucified. Is there a school of thought that the whole story is fabrication ?

Not one I've ever heard of. He was mentioned by a first century AD Roman historian (Josephus and it's pretty unlikely that a legend could have developed that quickly.

Abraham is perhaps a bit more doubtful...

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    2 times
    name='billy bentley']How many times did John Wayne play John Wayne ?

John Wayne the film character was nothing like John Wayne the person. The film character won World War II and fought hundreds of Native Americans as a military officer. John Wayne the person has never been in the armed forces.

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Hey, John Wayne played real people, too. Remember his Genghis Khan? Heston has two more, but he's clearly not in the running. I guess he has bragging rights for most for an American actor.

Liked
    2 times
    name='CaptainWaggett']Not one I've ever heard of. He was mentioned by a first century AD Roman historian (Josephus and it's pretty unlikely that a legend could have developed that quickly.

Josephus was a Jewish historian and the bits about Jesus in his writings may have been added later by others.

D.

Senior Member Country: England mallee59's Avatar
    Liked
    8 times
    how about a special section for M E Clifton James?

Liked
    492 times
    name='dylan']Josephus was a Jewish historian and the bits about Jesus in his writings may have been added later by others.

D.

Being Jewish and Roman weren't mutually exclusive - he was a Roman citizen and client of Titus though he'd fought against the Romans originally, he became quite a fan. It's generally agreed by scholars that one of the references to Jesus in his work is definitely contemporary though both references have probably been embellished. As well as Josephus there's also a fair amount of New Testament apocrypha to add to the pile of evidence

If Jesus didn't have a historical exsistence then the early growth of Christianity does take a bit of explaining.

To return to the thread, who wins if we count leading roles rather than cameos?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12