Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked
    0 times
    I have watched this so many times it's a bit worse for wear. It's one of my all time favourite Brit films, everyone cast perfect for thier rolls.

Liked
    0 times
    I loved that film. It was the first one I saw Susan George in and fell instantly in love with her. I was only about ten at the time btw.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    5 times
    I have to say one of my favourites the sad thing is i nearly know it word for word as i'v watched it soo many times but never get fed up of it.although my eldest daughter is always saying your not watching that bloody kipper film again.

Liked
    0 times
    why is this film never shown on tv? and it has never been available on dvd or video.

I have only seen it once, many years ago on tv very late at night. I thought it was brilliant, Richard Burton and Rex Harrison, in Harry's hairdressing salon.

One part if i remember correctly, was when Richard Burton removed the bandadges from his head and his hair was like a day old chick. Also i seem to remember there was alot of running up and down the stairs.

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    I just love this film and would love to see a DVD release.

The dry wit of the brilliant James Mason playing the domineering Rafe Compton is excellent and it's always great to see snatches of northern cities as they were. Bolton in this case.

A fantastic supporting cast including Diana Coupland as Mrs Compton and Rodney Bewes as one of the sons. A brief appearance by Arthur Lowe and a cameo from Bernard Breslaw make it all the more enjoyable. The other son is played by Len Jones and if you're thinking the voice sounds familiar - he was the voice of Joe 90!

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    It was due for release on an Optimum DVD a few months back, but as with a lot of announced releases from Optimum, they cancelled the release.

Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jez
    I just love this film and would love to see a DVD release.

The dry wit of the brilliant James Mason playing the domineering Rafe Compton is excellent and it's always great to see snatches of northern cities as they were. Bolton in this case.

A fantastic supporting cast including Diana Coupland as Mrs Compton and Rodney Bewes as one of the sons. A brief appearance by Arthur Lowe and a cameo from Bernard Breslaw make it all the more enjoyable. The other son is played by Len Jones and if you're thinking the voice sounds familiar - he was the voice of Joe 90!
    indeed an excellent film, I look forward to getting a copy of it, I always bracket this film alongside The Family Way for some reason

Liked
    0 times
    An update at last on the release of this gem of British cinema.

I spoke with a friend (of sorts!) at Optimum and he says that it will finally see the light of day in their first quarter release period of 2010 which is sometime January to March.

Of course, reading these forums, it seems like they've been promising it for an age but he did sound extremely positive that early 10 would definitely see it released.

Hurray!

Senior Member Country: England faginsgirl's Avatar
    Liked
    416 times
    To be honest, I started to watch this on you tube but didn`t seem to have much of a story although great a great family setting and good actors, but does the story actually develop further? I watched about 40 mins.

xx

Liked
    0 times
    Well, I'm extremely biased as far as this film is concerned but I'd say yes.

It's quietly understated watch and although the storyline doesn't build up into a huge crescendo, it's a satisfying and enjoayble conclusion I reckon. Each time I watch it, I'm just totally sucked in by James Mason's brilliant performance which provides frequent comedy, especially those pithy retorts to his sons and daughters.

Hope you find time to see it through and that you enjoy it.

Liked
    0 times
    This has been one of my favourite films since we studied it in English at school in the 90’s!

Chosen by the teacher because it was filmed in our town of Bolton! When we as a class was told we were watching a film from 1970 you could hear the groans from a class of 13 years at the other end of the school but I think most of us enjoyed the film, I know I did. If anything it was funny just to see the town in the 70’s, I don’t know how many times I’ve watched it since. I also saw a screenplay at the local Octagon Theatre a couple of years back, I think it was in 2007 which was really good as well apart from the fish smell!

Senior Member Country: Ireland zorro2566's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Looks like it will be out in January on DVD....

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/82940...e/Product.html

Liked
    0 times
    I am about to order this with Play but I am puzzled as to why Amazon don't show it on their site except for sign up to be notified thing!

Liked
    0 times
    Just got a despatch email from Play,can't wait to see this classic again!

Senior Member Country: Great Britain CALF28's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by stevie boy
    indeed an excellent film, I look forward to getting a copy of it, I always bracket this film alongside The Family Way for some reason
    Yes they do have a similar feel. Spring and Port Wine is one of my wife's favourite films closely followed by The Family Way. Out of the two I prefer The Family Way. Also that business with the fish gets on my nerves. And that awful woman next door!!!

Senior Member Country: Great Britain vincenzo's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    I revisited this a short while ago (via a TV VHS recording) and it's great fun. I love The Family Way (especially McCartney's atmospheric score) but prefer Spring And Port Wine.

Senior Member Country: UK rose ellen's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    This is one of my favourite films.I pre-ordered it from Play.com and it is in the post.The Family way is my very favourite film I never tire of watching it.

Liked
    22 times
    Wasn't Frank (Z Cars) Windsor in it?

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wadey
    Wasn't Frank (Z Cars) Windsor in it?
    Yes, indeed - he played the husband of the 'awful woman' next door, and the father of Adrienne Posta.

This is one of my favourite films too - I'm not English so it captures for me life in a working class Northern English town in the post-war years. Idealises it really as I've always been fascinated by that culture.

The point about the herring is that it plays into a much bigger plot/family development, and I thought that was very well done. So Rafe's temper over it becomes a bit more understandable in retrospect - the herring argument is a substitute for something much deeper.

Quite a few folk seemed miffed that Bill Owen didn't get Mason's role. I don't know whether he auditioned or not. All I can say is that Mason makes a fine job of it, and as he was originally from Huddersfield, it's nice to see him make a return to something close to his roots. It's a pity the documentary Home James isn't on this DVD - would have made a nice companion piece.

Great film.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain vincenzo's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Len Jones plays Susan George's brother in this and later appeared with her again in Straw Dogs, only this time as Sally Thomsett's brother.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast