Liked
    151 times

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    12 times
    Used real blood in his movies...plus he financed them all himself!

Film Man

Senior Member Country: UK quippy's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    name='Film Man']Used real blood in his movies...plus he financed them all himself!

Film Man

For his 1975 film The Confessional Murders ( aka House Of Mortal Sin ) Walker planted a story in the press that he'd used real human blood in an attempt to get the film condemned by the tabloid press and the Catholic Church.

Surprisingly, given its mix of sex, murder and religion, it never whipped up the same furore as House Of Whipcord and Frightmare did the year before.

For those who enjoy lists, here's a rundown of the bodycount.

1) Female throws herself from bedroom window

2) Male has face bashed in with repeated blows from an incense ball

3) Male found dead (method unseen)

4) Female killed with poisoned communion wafer

5) Female strangled with rosary beads

6) Female killed with poisoned communion wafer (again)

7) Female found with throat cut

Dangerous places, churches.

Liked
    12 times
    No made up story...I saw the blood he used...he got it from a hospital...it was of course watered down but non the less real blood!

Film man.

Senior Member Country: UK quippy's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    name='Film Man']No made up story...I saw the blood he used...he got it from a hospital...it was of course watered down but non the less real blood!

Film man.

Wow! Sounds desperately unhygienic to me. I honestly thought it was too much of a health risk to contemplate. Yuk!

I stand corrected. Thanks Film Man.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    HOME BEFORE MIDNIGHT appears to be an Odeon release, not a BFI one; it's already available on Region 1, but the R2 seems cheaper, but who knows what the quality will be like.

Senior Member Country: Albania
    Liked
    0 times
    Both the Odeon releases I've seen have been little better than VHS quality. If Home Before Midnight came out on VHS, I'm guessing the DVD will be sourced from the same master, though I'd love to be proved wrong.

The BFI release, on the other hand, should be state-of-the-art. It's in the same series as London in the Raw and Primitive London, whose transfers are truly eye-popping. It should also have plenty of extras - one that's already been confirmed is an entire supporting feature in the form of Walker's The Big Switch (aka Strip Poker) from 1968.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Anyone know how the Odeon HBM compares with earlier anamorphic R1 DVD?

Liked
    2 times
    i watched man of violence last night or at least tried to ! i kept nodding off . not one of walkers best im afraid ! it seemed like they were making it up as they went along . it took me a while to realise the star was van der valks pardner as well wasnt he ?

i hope strip poker on the b side is a bit more enjoyable .

i suppose if youre a real pete walker fan its a very good transfer to dvd and the artwork and booklet are great its just a shame about the movie it was awful ! particularly the fast driving / disarming the baddie sequence which was laughable and was moon supposed to be a ruthless crook or some james bond wannabee ? scenes like the above had me wondering

Senior Member Country: UK Joe Fraguela's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    name='davidb']i watched man of violence last night or at least tried to ! i kept nodding off . not one of walkers best im afraid ! it seemed like they were making it up as they went along . it took me a while to realise the star was van der valks pardner as well wasnt he ?

i hope strip poker on the b side is a bit more enjoyable .

i suppose if youre a real pete walker fan its a very good transfer to dvd and the artwork and booklet are great its just a shame about the movie it was awful ! particularly the fast driving / disarming the baddie sequence which was laughable and was moon supposed to be a ruthless crook or some james bond wannabee ? scenes like the above had me wondering

Michael Latimer did play Inspector Johnny Kroon in the first series of Van Der Valk (1972/1973). Although Man of Violence is not a particularly well known film and it's no cinema classic I still found it enjoyable. It must have been made on a real shoe string budget! I'm looking forward to the next Flipside releases although I can't find any information as to their next set of releases.

Liked
    2 times
    name='Joe Fraguela']Michael Latimer did play Inspector Johnny Kroon in the first series of Van Der Valk (1972/1973). Although Man of Violence is not a particularly well known film and it's no cinema classic I still found it enjoyable. It must have been made on a real shoe string budget! I'm looking forward to the next Flipside releases although I can't find any information as to their next set of releases.

the flipside releases are fantastic in the way theyve been transferred to dvd and the artwork and attention to detail not to mention all the extras such as the bonus film .

makes up for a woeful main feature !

Senior Member Country: Great Britain scenesixty's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times
    name='quippy']For his 1975 film The Confessional Murders ( aka House Of Mortal Sin ) Walker planted a story in the press that he'd used real human blood in an attempt to get the film condemned by the tabloid press and the Catholic Church.

Surprisingly, given its mix of sex, murder and religion, it never whipped up the same furore as House Of Whipcord and Frightmare did the year before.

For those who enjoy lists, here's a rundown of the bodycount.

1) Female throws herself from bedroom window

2) Male has face bashed in with repeated blows from an incense ball

3) Male found dead (method unseen)

4) Female killed with poisoned communion wafer

5) Female strangled with rosary beads

6) Female killed with poisoned communion wafer (again)

7) Female found with throat cut

Dangerous places, churches.

Movie still stands up well today-amusing in parts, especially the deranged vicar and the sinister housekeeper: "Your'e all alone now, alone with ME!" Sheila Keith to bedridden Hilda Barry.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain vincenzo's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Home Before Midnight is one of my favourite Walker films along with the excellent Frightmare.

I thought Schizo went on forever.

Senior Member Country: UK Joe Fraguela's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    name='davidb']the flipside releases are fantastic in the way theyve been transferred to dvd and the artwork and attention to detail not to mention all the extras such as the bonus film .

makes up for a woeful main feature !

Absolutely! I never thought I'd see the day when the BFI would actually start releasing some of the rarer and lesser known and seen british films from the 1960's and 1970's especially Herostratus (1967) and Separation (1968). The price of the DVD's are certainly worth it considering the amount of extras included and the informative booklets which come with the DVD. I'm looking forward to the next releases when they are announced hopefully soon