Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Anyone have any idea where this scene(s) was/were shot? I have a vague memory it was mentioned on the DVD commentary but my machine is refusing to play it.

Liked
    0 times
    Damn! I've posted this in the TV section not film. Apologies, can it be moved to the right section?

*** It has been moved - many thanks moderator ***

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    Sheffield?..........that City has a lot of hilly parts.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark O
    Sheffield?..........that City has a lot of hilly parts.
    I wonder? You can see other hills in the background and Sheffield is built on five hills.

Senior Member Country: Ireland
    Liked
    4 times
    Where is the Borstal building? Tom Courtenay revisited it in the superb 1993 BBC2 documentary series on British cinema in the 60s Hollywood UK, but I don't think its whereabouts were mentioned. It seemed to be derelict then, so it may no longer exist.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by doojeen
    Where is the Borstal building? Tom Courtenay revisited it in the superb 1993 BBC2 documentary series on British cinema in the 60s Hollywood UK, but I don't think its whereabouts were mentioned. It seemed to be derelict then, so it may no longer exist.
    I believe it was Ruxley Towers, Claygate in Surrey.

Senior Member Country: Ireland
    Liked
    4 times
    Thanks...I-found-this-on-the-Wkikipedia-entry-on-Claygate:

"The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner (Tony Richardson 1961) starring Tom Courtenay, set at Ruxley Towers (Ruxton Towers in the film) and showing much of the surrounding countryside before the construction of the Esher By-pass. "

Senior Member Country: UK isbright's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Does it happen to be this building, which is situated at Tower Gardens, Esher (according to Google maps) but is actually at the junction of Tower Gardens/Thorne Close in Claygate?

Regards, Ian.

Liked
    0 times
    So anyone have any further ideas/thoughts where that beautifully bleak location is then?

Senior Member Country: England harryshand's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Think it is Nottingham but there are no Now shots to confirm. Bingmaps doesn't confirm it either.There is a gasholder alongside the railway but no viaduct.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by harryshand
    Think it is Nottingham but there are no Now shots to confirm. Bingmaps doesn't confirm it either.There is a gasholder alongside the railway but no viaduct.
    Geography is all wrong for Nottingham I'm positive. I'm sure it's a northern location.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    One idea is to e-mail both pics to a long established Northern England based Newspaper and ask if it could be their area?..........who knows, they may even get printed.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    Some learned criticism from "Screen" Vol.25/n.4/5. (1984). Andrew Higson explores the landscape of the 'kitchen sink' film.

Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jez
    Anyone have any idea where this scene(s) was/were shot? I have a vague memory it was mentioned on the DVD commentary but my machine is refusing to play it.

Could it be somewhere up the Calder valley - maybe around the Mirfield/Brighouse/Elland area?

Liked
    23 times
    Martin, I'm convinced of it. This thread has become an obession now with me as my late father came from the North- West region personified by Tony Richardson's earlier 'Taste of Honey' and my late mother from what i'm determined to prove is South/West Yorkshire regarding this film-clip!

Tony Richardson was born in the West Yorkshire town of Shipley; 'The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner' could well prove to have been a trilogy of Tom Courtenay films including Billy Liar and The Dresser which were situated or individually-scened in Bradford. Do you get any vibes so far?

Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick C
    Martin, I'm convinced of it. This thread has become an obession now with me as my late father came from the North- West region personified by Tony Richardson's earlier 'Taste of Honey' and my late mother from what i'm determined to prove is South/West Yorkshire regarding this film-clip!

Tony Richardson was born in the West Yorkshire town of Shipley; 'The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner' could well prove to have been a trilogy of Tom Courtenay films including Billy Liar and The Dresser which were situated or individually-scened in Bradford. Do you get any vibes so far?
    I've just remembered that I've a railway book of then-and-now photos of the West Riding, and I think there are some photos of the Lancashire and Yorkshire (Calder Valley) railway around Brighouse. I'll have a look and see if anything looks familiar.

Liked
    23 times
    I've got the hots for Walsden south of Todmorden and the Gauxholme Viaduct (googlable)....

Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinU
    I've just remembered that I've a railway book of then-and-now photos of the West Riding, and I think there are some photos of the Lancashire and Yorkshire (Calder Valley) railway around Brighouse. I'll have a look and see if anything looks familiar.
    For a moment I thought I'd found it: a gasholder that looks similar (diagonal stripes) at Elland station. But I don't think I'm right because there ought to be a huge mill just behind the gas holder. Also the background is too built-up: there were open fields (and a hill!) for about a mile northwards of the gasholder.

Here's the picture from the book. It's looking east. If it was the right location, the first LOTLDR picture would be looking north, ie from right to left in my picture.

The photo was taken in 1981. The equivalent 1958 photo, which would have been more at the time when LOTLDR was filmed, doesn't show the gasholder so maybe it was empty and therefore down in the ground at the time.

In the LOTLDR picture, do you reckon that's a quarry or building site to the left of the railway?

Liked
    23 times
    Hmm, wonder what other forumers think. I have been checking out www.lost railways west yorkshire.co.uk but have to go into work for a few hours from now on.

Liked
    0 times
    Iam not sure where this was taken.

Does anyone know someone who was at Court Lees School in the sixties?

I am writing a book about the school's closure

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast