Thread: The Red Shoes

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    As I said in response to that IMDb message board post:

See the P&P site for a lot of similar articles, and my own report and pictures from the Cannes screening.

Nice review in Empire magazine. Although they don't seem to have seen the new print of it - which is getting its American premi�re at UCLA at the end of this month. It's like the Empire reviewer just pulled out a standard review of the film. Not particular mention of the restoration, everything they say could be applied to any previous release

Steve

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    The Red Shoes is being broadcast on UK TV this Saturday August 1st at 12.45pm on BBC2.......the Radio Time's reviewer has given it five stars.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    12 times
    I've just got the Blue Ray copy from the new restoration...although very good I didn't notice a lot of difference from the last special DVD release. There are so many 35mm & 16mm Technicolor Dye Transfer copies knocking about, it wasn't exactly on its last legs! Why don't they spend money on getting a pristine copy of Alistaire Sims's 'A Christmas Carol' back in top form?

Film Man.

Liked
    418 times
    name='Film Man']I've just got the Blue Ray copy from the new restoration...although very good I didn't notice a lot of difference from the last special DVD release. There are so many 35mm & 16mm Technicolor Dye Transfer copies knocking about, it wasn't exactly on its last legs! Why don't they spend money on getting a pristine copy of Alistaire Sims's 'A Christmas Carol' back in top form?

Film Man.
    You didn't notice much difference? What were you viewing it on (TV or projected)?

From DVD Beaver:

1) Warner Home Vid�o (2-disc) - Region 2 - PAL TOP

2) Criterion - Region 0 - NTSC - SECOND

3) Carlton - Region 2 - PAL - THIRD

4) ITV DVD - Region 'B' - Blu-ray - BOTTOM

Of course it looks even better when it's projected onto a huge screen

As for the "Why didn't they spend the money on ..." question which lots of other people have asked, this is just the first of many such restorations they hope to do. They wanted to do one which would make a big impact and one where the existing negatives are in a very poor, but still salvageable condition - and it's one of Martin Scorsese's favourite films

Check TheAuteurs.com to see what else they are working on, and trying to raiuse the funds for

Steve

Senior Member Country: England smiffy's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    name='Mark O']The Red Shoes is being broadcast on UK TV this Saturday August 1st at 12.45pm on BBC2.......the Radio Time's reviewer has given it five stars.

Thanks Mark , I've set the V+ box This is one of my get around to seeing films ,I'm looking forward to It .

Liked
    12 times
    I project all my films onto a 12 ft screen...full 1080p High Definition, via a Panasonic projector....You can cut yourself on the definition on 'The Searchers' in VistaVision via HD DVD...another Scorsese favourite! I can also project 35mm, so I know what I'm looking at!

Film Man.

Senior Member Country: UK Brief Encounter's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    Can we only state positive opinions in this thread?

Liked
    418 times
    name='Brief Encounter']Can we only state positive opinions in this thread?
    I don't know of any thread that is restricted to positive opinions

Steve

Liked
    10 times
    I queried it as it's the 'favourite films' forum, and I don't want to cause offence...

but I found the film far too long and quite boring in many places. That's not to say there was anything wrong with the performances, and that visually it wasn't very nice.

Liked
    418 times
    name='Brief Encounter']I queried it as it's the 'favourite films' forum, and I don't want to cause offence...

but I found the film far too long and quite boring in many places. That's not to say there was anything wrong with the performances, and that visually it wasn't very nice.

I'm always interested in why people don't like some of my favourite films. As long as their argument doesn't just consist of "I don't like it and anyone who does must be an idiot" - I do see some of those.

So which parts in particular did you think were too long and boring, and what would you have done to avoid that? Would you just cut those parts out or would you change them?

Steve

Liked
    12 times
    I have to agree with 'Brief Encounter' although Red Shoes is a work of art it isn't going to appeal to everyone...what film does? I presented a very good 16mm print in Technicolor to a ballet school some years back. The students were between 18 and 25...sadly they weren't that impressed, lots of looking at watches and only one question during the Q & A session at the end.

I enjoy Powell & Pressberger movies but wouldn't force them on my Film Club...I tried Canterbury Tale but it didn't go down well...when I saw it at a special BBC showing in Canterbury Cathedral last year it was fantastic, like watching something I had never seen before, maybe because it was such a special showing?

We all have our favourite films Steve but don't expect all to enjoy them.

As for 'Brief Encounters' positive threads...the reason I love this forum is because it gives all a chance to air their views...good bad or just plain silly...lovable nutters as my wife states!

Film Man.

Liked
    418 times
    name='Film Man']I have to agree with 'Brief Encounter' although Red Shoes is a work of art it isn't going to appeal to everyone...what film does? I presented a very good 16mm print in Technicolor to a ballet school some years back. The students were between 18 and 25...sadly they weren't that impressed, lots of looking at watches and only one question during the Q & A session at the end.
    Ballet has changed a lot since the 1940s. There's an interesting interview with the director of the Lyon Op�ra Ballet on the French DVD where he explains many of the changes

I enjoy Powell & Pressberger movies but wouldn't force them on my Film Club...I tried Canterbury Tale but it didn't go down well...when I saw it at a special BBC showing in Canterbury Cathedral last year it was fantastic, like watching something I had never seen before, maybe because it was such a special showing?
    So you've seen me then

Although that was 2007, doesn't time fly?

Thelma introduced me and a few others at the Q&A after the screening

Report & pictures

We all have our favourite films Steve but don't expect all to enjoy them.
    I don't expect people to, and as I said above, I'm interested in reason why people don't like them - as long as there are reasons

Steve

Liked
    10 times
    name='Steve Crook']

So which parts in particular did you think were too long and boring, and what would you have done to avoid that? Would you just cut those parts out or would you change them?

It's hard to explain, since the film didn't leave much impression on me, I've forgotten most of it. If I say I'm more of a Gainsborough fan, perhaps that might partly answer your questions.

Liked
    12 times
    Steve...All I can remember with the Q & A at Canterbury that night was the Son of Michael Powell...could that possibly be you?????

Ashamed that I didn't speak up and thank everyone for such a fantastic evening...the Digital Projection and sound was excellent considering the problems involved....was it really 2007...goodness I'm getting old!

Film Man.

Liked
    418 times
    name='Film Man']Steve...All I can remember with the Q & A at Canterbury that night was the Son of Michael Powell...could that possibly be you?????

Ashamed that I didn't speak up and thank everyone for such a fantastic evening...the Digital Projection and sound was excellent considering the problems involved....was it really 2007...goodness I'm getting old!

Film Man.
    The son of Michael Powell who was there was Columba (the other son, Kevin, lives in Australia). I've met Columba quite a few times now over the years and have even been to stay with him a few times. He lives in his Dad's old cottage in Gloucestershire.

Do you remember the two white haired ladies on the platform answering questions? One was Sheila Sim, star of the film and also known as Lady Attenborough. She's been to a few events where the film has been screened and she's introduced it and shared her memories of making the film. She's even brought her old man along to a few of the events - he was at the screening in the cathedral.

The other white haired lady was Thelma Schoonmaker. She's Martin Scorsese's multiple Oscar winning editor and she's also Michael Powell's widow. She does a lot to support anyone interested in P&P films like our Powell and Pressburger Appreciation Society

There were also quite a few of the boys from the river battle there, although they're a bit older now of course.

That's "young Commander Todd" (David Todd) on the left, no longer crying in the back of the boat, then Lady Sheila and then "General Leslie" (Len Smith) on the right. As it happens, Win Tamsitt (widow of James Tamsitt - "General Terry") can be seen peering over David's shoulder. So that's the closest we'll get to the three boys back together with Alison Smith.

The BBC South East team who organised that evening, and broadcast it all over a few nights in their regional news slot, had accompanied us on our annual location walk a few months earlier. Although it's a documentary made by a different BBC producer, David Thompson, in 2005, which is on the Criterion DVD

And just to show that I'm not Columba, here's a picture of us at Cannes this year for the premi�re of the restored print of The Red Shoes.

That's me on the left, Thelma in the middle and Columba on the right.

Steve

Liked
    12 times
    Wow ...amazing stuff Steve. I know Thelma from my days at the BBC, she often came in to promote new films and the American Film Institute, we often spoke of 16mm films. Sheila, I also know through Dickie...I Produced a number of program's on this legend, again at the BBC! Did you know Granada wanted to charge a mind blowing hire fee for A Canterbury Tale that night? When Thelma found out she got onto the boss of Granada and gave him a piece of her mind!!! Result was not only a cancellation of the fee but a donation to The Michael Powell charity. Now that is power!!!!

Film Man

Film Man.

Liked
    418 times
    name='Film Man']Wow ...amazing stuff Steve. I know Thelma from my days at the BBC, she often came in to promote new films and the American Film Institute, we often spoke of 16mm films. Sheila, I also know through Dickie...I Produced a number of program's on this legend, again at the BBC! Did you know Granada wanted to charge a mind blowing hire fee for A Canterbury Tale that night? When Thelma found out she got onto the boss of Granada and gave him a piece of her mind!!! Result was not only a cancellation of the fee but a donation to The Michael Powell charity. Now that is power!!!!

Film Man

Thelma is great. A wonderful lady and a very useful friend of our group. She's a very busy person but she'll often make time for us and when she zooms into London to do some work at the BFI or to get her latest editing desk upgraded I often get a call to meet her for lunch where we catch up with the gossip and plan a few forthcoming campaigns

Basically, if Thelma says "Jump", people start jumping

Steve

Liked
    1 times
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEkVwlGWhv4]YouTube - Red Shoes Scorsese Cannes 2009[/ame]

A bit wobbly to begin with, but it settles down.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast