Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    Got another set of Brit-related queries rounded up from other sites. Remember, these are gathered from other posters--they are not my own inquiries.

1) "What is the name of the British comedy movie made early 1970s (or late 1960s)? Set in the country home of a middle aged couple, its Christmas holidays, snowing outside, the heating in the house can't be controlled or turned off, so it's like a sauna inside. Son comes home from college for the holidays with "friend" who is of indeterminate gender, father spends the next couple of days trying to establish gender of "friend" - like seeing if toilet seat is left up when used, and so on."

2) "Hello! I'm looking for the title of a film, about a British man who got held captive in the jungle after he decided to take an adventure vacation before getting married. If I recall, he went to the Amazon. He began with a guide, but he died; the man got lost, then fell ill. When he came to, he was in the "care" of an elder white man that a native tribe revered as their leader. The British man was nursed back to health by the old man's care, but when a search party of his friends came looking for him, the old man drugged him and told the searchers the man had died. The searchers went back to England and told his fianc�e he was deceased. The old man kept the English man captive with the threat the tribe would kill him if he tried to escape. I think the movie was made during the 1980s or '90s. I thought the old man was played by John Huston, but I've looked at his filmography and don't see any film with that plot description. I'd like to see this movie again; and I'd recommend it to others. Can anyone help? Thanks."

3) "I have a vague memory of a B/W film which aired on TV during Thanksgiving weekend in 1974, but was likely produced in the 1950s or '60s. From memory, the time period would have been the late 1800s and the location was probably Britain. The film centered around a young woman (about 16 to 18 years old) who (I believe) was hired as a house servant. The first memorable scene was of a wake being held in the house. The corpse in the open casket appeared to rise during a lightning flash, but was "normal" after the flash ended. (Because it lasted only a split second, the lightning scene was creepy.) Throughout the film was a foreboding about a bell ringing in a churchyard, which would foretell someone's death. The young woman, predictably, hears the bell ringing loudly and consistently. She musters up the courage to investigate after being consoled by another young woman, who I believe was a member of the household. When the two women arrive at the church where the bell is ringing, they find the blind caretaker hanging from the bellfry--the ringing is caused by the caretaker's seeing-eye-dog pulling on his body. The household girl laughs hysterically; the servant girl runs away from her in terror. (I left the room for a few minutes; when I returned the movie was over.)"

4) "The film I'm looking for, I saw on TV some years ago in the UK. A British colour production from the 1950's or 1960's.It tells the story of a British little boy, who loses contact with his parents in a middle eastern, or north African country. His parents may have been killed. I think he's the son of the British ambassador. There's a violent revolution going on.The film follows the boy's adventures, and his struggle to get home. For part of the film he is the prisoner of a blind nomad, in the desert. Eventually he makes his escape." [I admit this one is bugging me, 'cuz it seems to me that I saw it myself many years ago as a wee lad. --Puru]

Liked
    80 times
    4 is Sammy Going South, I think.

E.

Liked
    80 times
    2 is possibly A Handful of Dust.

E.

Liked
    0 times
    1. may be "Girl Stroke Boy" (1971)

Liked
    0 times
    Hokey smokes! I am not believing it! Euryale is exactly right with Sammy Going South. Or, at least, it matches the film that *I* remember, which I hope is the same as what the original poster was thinking of. The key scene is this (which I didn't want to mention since I thought I had imagined it, and which is actually described elsewhere on this site):

"Later still, after the Syrian has died following an explosion when Sammy accidentally put the wrong kind of stones on the camp fire, Sammy callously steals the Syrian’s wallet full of money from his corpse and continues his journey south on one of the Syrian’s donkeys. Disney-fied, this film definitely isn’t! But such scenes plainly show the character of Sammy and the effect on the little boy that the loss of his home and his parents had had on him that MacKendrick was trying to put across."

I had always thought that the kid had put bullets into the fire, so I stand corrected.

Good job, Euryale!

Liked
    0 times
    name='catflap']1. may be "Girl Stroke Boy" (1971)

This sounds like it might be the one--awaiting confirmation from original poster.

Liked
    80 times
    3. This might be the Italian horror film La Cripta e L'Incubo aka Crypt of the Vampire (1964), which starred Christoper Lee.

There is definitely a scene where the corpse of a young woman sits up in her coffin by lightning and the hanging in the belltower is as described. You can see the latter here - WARNING - it is pretty gruesome!:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhhNNfoYU10&hl=un]YouTube - cripta[/ame]

E.