Senior Member Country: England Maurice's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    Daily Telegraph:

A zombie film, made for just �45, that caused a stir at the Cannes Film Festival is to be released in cinemas across the country.

COLIN, which was filmed on camcorder, has been snapped up by Kaleidoscope Entertainment.

The film was shot in Wales and London and charts the progress of Colin, a man who is bitten by a zombie, dies and is resurrected as one of the flesh-eating undead.

Director Marc Price, 30, who wrote, filmed and produced the horror flick, said:

"It just goes to show you don't need thousands and thousands of pounds to make a film."

Senior Member Country: England Captain Casper's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    It also shows that films that are made for a few quid and a handjob are truly dire.

I give you, "The Blair Witch Project".

Senior Member Country: Great Britain GoggleboxUK's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    It was recently reported that a movie shot in London and Wales on a camcorder with a budget of just �45 was due for a nationwide cinema release after a distributor bought the rights

�45 zombie movie to get cinema release | Film | The Guardian

It made me wonder if there had ever been any really big grossing box office hits that were produced quite cheaply?

I can only really think of The Blair Witch Project.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='GoggleboxUK']It was recently reported that a movie shot in London and Wales on a camcorder with a budget of just �45 was due for a nationwide cinema release after a distributor bought the rights

�45 zombie movie to get cinema release | Film | The Guardian

It made me wonder if there had ever been any really big grossing box office hits that were produced quite cheaply?

I can only really think of The Blair Witch Project.
    Blair Witch wasn't all that cheap to make, it still cost $500,000 to $750,000 to make. It's often quoted that it only cost them $20,000. But that was just the cost of principal photography. By the time they'd edited it, added the sound mix and re-shot some scenes that the distributors required, that put the costs into the same sort of ball park as the cost of many other independent films.

Where they did save a lot of money was by marketing it via the internet rather than the usual expensive advertising campaigns.

It did still make a lot of money ($250m and counting) - 3-500 times the cost. But that's not all that unusual for a successful independent film. The trouble is that so few of them are successful

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    Hi Guys

'Colin' The Zombie film is being shown at the BFI this halloween at BFI Southbank (Waterloo). Marc Price the director will be there as well as some of the cast to answer any questions and its only a fiver. There's also a free Horror SFX workshop and some future filmakers horror films being shown as well. Why don't you come along and see what you think for yourselves? Its cheaper than student prices at the Vue or the Odeon plus you'll get to meet the director.

Or if you want to get some more info check out the website

http://www.bfi.org.uk/futurefilm

Or you can contact the Box Office at

020 7928 3232

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='FreddieErringt']Hi Guys

'Colin' The Zombie film is being shown at the BFI this halloween at BFI Southbank (Waterloo). Marc Price the director will be there as well as some of the cast to answer any questions and its only a fiver. There's also a free Horror SFX workshop and some future filmakers horror films being shown as well. Why don't you come along and see what you think for yourselves? Its cheaper than student prices at the Vue or the Odeon plus you'll get to meet the director.

Or if you want to get some more info check out the website

Future Film | BFI

Or you can contact the Box Office at

020 7928 3232

At a fiver each they'll only need 9 people to attend to make back the cost of the film

Steve

Senior Member Country: Great Britain GoggleboxUK's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    Colin has been released on DVD, Play have it at �5.99 and my copy arruved on Saturday.

The film's low budget is apparent but I have seen many movies with a big budget that look like they spent all the money on catering. It's professionally done and the sound belies the cost from start to finish.

It really wasn't what I expected, it's not your average zombie movie, and I can't believe that the idea wasn't covered by the likes of Romero when zombie films were in their hayday.

The movie works on a disturbingly emotional level, charting the descent from humanity as Colin slowly loses his grip on everything he once was. This portrayal isn't oscar worthy but it definitely haunts and left me feeling a little drained.

There are essential zombie film elements, blood, gore, biting and ripping flesh in abundance but most of it is shown with Colin as an onlooker. Despite the movies almost complete lack of dialogue, much is expressed by the camerawork, sound and glazed but knowing expressions on the new zombie's face. Clever in parts, over-long and tedious at times I felt the lead actor did exactly what was required of him: conveyed his ebbing humanity through minor responses only.

I can't say I enjoyed the film and that's nothing to do with the genre as I thoroughly enjoyed Dawn of the Dead, Resident Evil, 28 Days Later, I am Legend and Return of the Living Dead Part 2 but this is a film that shouldn't be enjoyed, rather appreciated for breaking new ground in such an established, often cliched subgenre of the horror movie.

It will be torn to shreds because of its budget. Horror fans without the emotional depth or intellectual capacity to interpret it will shout down it's diversion from the familiar and it will draw comparison with the Blair Witch Project due to the fact that the camera work, budget and genre are on a par but this movie deserves its accolades much more than its criticisms. It's the first horror movie of 2009 that has totally engrossed me from start to finish and set alongside big budget productions like Whiteout it stands proud.

Hopefully the director's next project will get close to being as enthralling, I look forward to it eagerly and would recommend this film to everyone here at BritMovie as a home grown diamond albeit a roughly cut one.