Senior Member Country: Scotland julian_craster's Avatar
    Liked
    103 times

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/All-Right-Noises-DVD-Bell/dp/B002EAKWBQ/"]All The Right Noises [DVD] [1970]: Amazon.co.uk: Tom Bell, Lesley-Anne Down, Olivia Hussey, Judy Carne, John Standing, Gerry O'Hara: DVD[/ame]

Actors: Tom Bell, Lesley-Anne Down, Olivia Hussey, Judy Carne, John Standing

# Director: Gerry O'Hara

# Format: PAL

# Region: Region 2

# Classification: 12

# Studio: Bfi Video

# DVD Release Date: 24 Aug 2009

Tom Bell plays a disgruntled young Brit who becomes bored by his job and his marriage. Bell impulsively launches an affair with 15-year-old actress Olivia Hussey. But fear not: this isn't going to be 'The Joey Buttafuco Story'. Rather, both Bell and Hussey are brought to their senses when she thinks she's pregnant. Judy Carne, at the tail end of her LAUGH IN-generated fame, is adequate as Bell's loving wife. Director Gerry O'Hara based the screenplay for ALL THE RIGHT NOISES on his own novel.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Has anyone else discovered this film yet? I am absolutely flabberghasted by it, it is absolutely beautiful. It deals with a potentially explosive subject without any exploitative or sensationalist gimmicks: this is a happy, truthful and incredibly naturalistic love story which doesn't have a single wrong note in ninety minutes. Olivia Husssey is enchanting, Bell gives his most gentle and also possibly his finest performance, and what a revelation to see Judy Carne showing what a great talent she was.

HOnestly, I can't recommend this highly enough. You know how it is when you discover something you know is going to be on your top ten for a long time....!

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    I'd have to agree - this film is quite the 'forgotten little gem'. I didn't know what to expect but the whole thing was very well done. Tom Bell was always such a 'reliable' actor; great performances which stayed real and grounded - never the hint of the AC-Tor type of thing.

Very nicely done. As Pye implied, the whole thing might easily have slipped into 'sexploitation' territory but low-key realism very much was the order of the day (thankfully).

Smudge
    Last edited by smudge; 10-12-10 at 10:58 AM.

Liked
    151 times
    A great performance by Tom Bell but I do recall some unease as if memory serves Hussey is still at school?

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DB7 View Post
    A great performance by Tom Bell but I do recall some unease as if memory serves Hussey is still at school?
    Yes, she's just shy of her sixteenth birthday. It's inconcievable this could get made today but the film works so beautifully on every level that age quickly becomes irrelevant to the story. Similarly the marriage of Tom Bell's character is very happy, there ae no trite reasons for his or Hussey's actions. And the ending is one of the most perfect I've ever seen. Reminds me of the end of Klute and of Before Sunset.

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I saw this on Talking Pictures (Freeview81) a few days ago - just one of the many forgotten gems that Talking Pictures is so good at unearthing. It's just a pity that, like Film on Four, they have to interrupt the films with a 5 minute advertising break every 20 minutes - though there are ways of mitigating this of course.