Thread: Adelphi Films

Senior Member Country: England Number Six's Avatar
    Liked
    13 times
    It's great news that all the Adelphi Films back catalogue of 29 or so classic British crime, comedy and musical films is to be issued on DVD.

Penny Points To Paradise and Let's Go Crazy are the first to be issued - out on Monday - and have been supported by BFI screenings recently. The remaining films will be released over the coming months.

Adelphi Films played a vital role in the early careers of a number of British stars, The Goons probably foremost among them, and certainly played it's part in the development of 1940s, 50s and 60s British Cinema in general.

This set of films gives us the chance to re-live this great era of British film-making and I for one am certainly looking forward to the coming new releases with great anticipation!

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Are they really releasing all these? Fab news though the website doesn't make it clear.

Senior Member Country: England Harbottle's Avatar
    Liked
    92 times
    Very interesting, and more Ye Olde British films are to be welcomed of course Only two coming out so far, looks like it might take some time if ever before we see them all. Must say I hope they release Law & Disorder with Alastair Sim soon though

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    At the recent screening it was suggested that all the surviving titles would receive a DVD release through this restoration partnership between Adelphi and the BFI. However I imagine a supportive sponsor would need to be found for every restoration, and Penny Points might be a test release to check out market interest?

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    These are the ones that interest me ...

Torment - Dermot Walsh

The Tell Tale Heart - Stanley Baker

The Great Game - Diana Dors

Intimate Relations - written by Jean Cocteau

Senior Member Country: Scotland julian_craster's Avatar
    Liked
    103 times
    As each film will have to undergo restoration by the BFI before its issue on DVD, I can't imagine that they could afford to undertake the restoration of more than two Adelphi films for DVD a year, so it will take about 10 years to work though the catalogue.

I do hope they give priority to STARS IN YOUR EYES (Dorothy Squires, Pat Kirwood, Jimmy Clitheroe et al) however, as many of us have been waiting years to see this again......And there are not many films in which Bonar Colleano SINGS !

Senior Member Country: UK Brief Encounter's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    Yes Julian, they said before they would be released over 15 years!

But I don't think they all need restoration. Clips from STARS were shown in a recent docu about Dorothy Squires, and it looks just fine. I agree that I would like to see this one released, especially with it being colour. I'm also keen to see THE HAPPINESS OF THREE WOMEN. Most Petula fans have never seen it.

Super Moderator Country: Scotland
    Liked
    27 times
    batman, Adelphi Films are looking for a copy of The Tell Tale Heart themselves unfortunately.

There is another Adelphi film, For Love of You (1933) which they do not mention on their site. It might be that they no longer own the rights to it.

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    0 times
    Note that the Penny Points to Paradise DVD & BD also includes The Slappiest Days of Our Lives, so that's three done.

Liked
    0 times
    Have just been in touch with Adelphi films to see if there is an order in place to which they are releasing the films. Got a very nice and quick reply from them and apparently after 'Is Your Honeymoon...' comes out this summer, the next films slated for release are going to be 'The Great Game' and 'Miss Tulip Stays the Night' both with Diana Dors.

Beyond that there is no particular order - but she does expect 26 films to have been released by 2018 - most likely including the ones I was specifically enquiring about, 'Stars in Your Eyes', 'The Happiness of Three Women' and 'My Death is a Mockery'.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    1 times
    The Great Game will be a super release...can't wait for it to become avaialble.

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    The next Adelphi release from BFI is a Diana Dors double bill: [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Diana-Dors-Double-Bill-Honeymoon/dp/B0038NQMU8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1275346329&sr=1-1"]Is Your Honeymoon Really Necessary? and My Wife's Lodger[/ame]. Looks like this one is packaged with both the DVD and the Blu-ray versions.

Senior Member Country: England phil's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    I'm hoping The Crowded Day gets a release soon. It is on The Adelphi list and also on the list which Renown is releasing from, so I'm not sure where it will be coming from.