Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Well I can remember quite a bit about it. It was at least a two parter, but may have been four.

I think it was ITV 1. Somewhere between 1979 - 1983 approximately.

The plot - Concerned a British man in Greece who was looking either for some kind of treasure or was excavating a dig which was gradually revealing part of a painting.

The bad guy of the piece was actually an old greek widow who doted on her grand son but was interferring with the main characters mission and plotting evil things. She tried to kill him by having one of her sons sabotaging his car in the last episode.

Here is the bit that made it unique, three of the characters in the plot were in fact Greek Gods, posing as humans on earth - Aphrodite was the main male characters love interest at one point.

In the last episode the main dig floods and part of a painting was revealed to be the face of the woman whom the main character was seeing, another character drowned in the dig.

The evil grandmas plot to kill our hero goes dreadfully wrong when her family actually borrow the car that she had sabotaged to kill off the hero to take her grandson to fly his kite. The boy and his parents are all killed in the crash and I remember a panning shot to the car wreck with the kite fluttering in the wind covered in blood.

When the Evil Grandma is seen last she has gone into a state of permanent shock - her eldest daughter knowing that she was responsible makes sure that the picture of the grandson she doted on, is always in her eyeline (As a means of torture, but then she was an evil killer)

There is a final shot of three gods in disguise characters, watching the main guys leave the island. Part of the film was shot in that very famous deset castle, the one with the four very middle Eastern towers that is always turning up on Turkish delight ads and so on.

It was a very good series. I remember it was a treat for me to stay up and watch it, but I never saw the first episode.

Does anyone remember this? Hopefully with all that detail someone should.

Liked
    80 times
    The Aphrodite Inheritance?

E.

Liked
    0 times
    Blimey that was fast and I am pretty sure that was it - let me check...

Liked
    80 times
    Guessing it was a Michael J. Bird production. He did The Lotus Eaters, Who Pays the Ferryman? and The Dark Side of the Sun among others.

E.

Liked
    0 times
    Yes that was it, but I am wondering if I got the bit about the Evil Gran mixed up with this, so will watch it on youtube and see as apparently it is all on there.

And it was in fact BBC2 though I could have sworn I remember ad breaks.

Liked
    0 times
    Yeah watching the clips on youtube, I think I have the Evil Grandma mixed up from another show, so I am guessing that prehaps that whole scene with her and the kite etc was prehaps from one of the other shows by this team - prehaps the Lotus Eater?

Liked
    80 times
    name='Azanti']Yeah watching the clips on youtube, I think I have the Evil Grandma mixed up from another show, so I am guessing that prehaps that whole scene with her and the kite etc was prehaps from one of the other shows by this team - prehaps the Lotus Eater?

Might be Who Pays the Ferryman? - think there may a vengeful old lady in that.

E.

Liked
    80 times
    name='Euryale']Might be Who Pays the Ferryman? - think there may a vengeful old lady in that.

E.

Yes, the avenging grandmother and the car crash definitely figure in Who Pays the Ferryman?, so I think the memory of that has gotten combined with The Aphrodite Inheritance.

E.

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Euryale is right about the Who Pays the Ferryman detail. I watched the whole series last year and thought the last episode one of the most dramatic I've ever seen. The evil old woman is played by Patience Collier, who has a son (Steve Plytas) and two daughters. One is Betty Arvaniti, the other was lead character Jack Hedley's sweetheart during WWII but has since died. Unbeknownst to him, she left him a daughter and grandson.

Patience Collier has a deep hatred of the English and forbids her surviving daughter to see Jack. She hires her helper Matheos (Takis Emmanuel) to terrorise and later try and kill the Englishman. As described, his car is sabotaged, by Matheos, but it's his daughter, her husband and son who drive it, when theirs breaks down, and all are killed in a terrible car crash. Jack never told her that he was her father. Patience is wracked with guilt and becomes catatonic, staring at the photograph of the family she inadvertently killed. I don't know how you confused the two shows but your memories are very vivid. A classic series for sure!

EDIT - I've just had a butcher's at the last episode and can tell you that there were three gods involved nut NOT in human form. What happens is that the old woman stares at the engravings of what she calls "the Children of the Goddess of Justice". When she hears of the crash and presumes it is Jack Hedley who has been killed, she exclaims to them "It is done!". But moments later Catweazle actor Neil McCarthy informs her of what really happened and she rages at the same gods ("What kind of trick is this?"), suffers what appears to be a stroke and then lapsing into a permanently catatonic state ... which she deserves!

Liked
    0 times
    Hi guys, well that answers both questions then. I know I saw them both around the same time and could remember specefic scenes, but I think I probably only saw 50% of each series and got them mixed up. Very well made series and a nice holiday for all involved I dare say. I am going to Greece for the first time ever, tomorrow.