Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: England Maurice's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    Daily Mail 10/08/09:

Christmases are a-changin'

He was once famed for his protest songs, such as The Times They are a-Changin'. But Bob Dylan is a little more conventional these days.

The 68-year-old singer is said to be planning to bring out a Christmas album.

According to sources close to Dylan, he is planning his own versions of classics such as Here Comes Santa Claus and O Little Town of Bethlehem and has already recorded them.

"It may sound bizarre but I don't think Dylan cares very much about what his detractors might say," said biographer Scott Marshall.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Dylan has always been a fan of Elvis Presley and I expect he may do similar rocked up versions of songs from Elvis' Christmas Album such as 'Santa Claus is back in town', (with the very suggestive lines about Santa coming down YOUR chimney tonight!) ' 'Blue Christmas' and 'White Christmas.' It would be good fun to hear Bob doing 'Run Run Rudolph' (Chuck Berry), 'Little Saint Nick (Beach Boys), 'Pretty paper (Willie Nelson/Roy Orbison) or Roger Miller's 'Old toy trains.'

Senior Member Country: Vatican Sgt Sunshine's Avatar
    Liked
    212 times
    name='Maurice']Daily Mail 10/08/09:

Christmases are a-changin'

He was once famed for his protest songs, such as The Times They are a-Changin'. But Bob Dylan is a little more conventional these days.

The 68-year-old singer is said to be planning to bring out a Christmas album.

According to sources close to Dylan, he is planning his own versions of classics such as Here Comes Santa Claus and O Little Town of Bethlehem and has already recorded them.

"It may sound bizarre but I don't think Dylan cares very much about what his detractors might say," said biographer Scott Marshall.

Dylan never has worried what his detractors think..............

Seems bizarre for a Jew to make an "Xmas" album............then again Joan did hers (Noel) 43 years ago............

The last Dylan album I bought was in 1984

Sgt S

Liked
    0 times
    The best selling song 'White Christmas' was written by Irving Berlin, who was Jewish.

I don't know which religion/faith Joan Baez follows today, but her family, I understand, converted to being Quakers having previously been Methodists.

Liked
    1 times
    He might even include this [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uec1J9g-sMs]YouTube - Bob Dylan - Twas the night before Christmas[/ame]

Here's the ad [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aos4EnQCu58[/ame]

Liked
    212 times
    name='Briant']The best selling song 'White Christmas' was written by Irving Berlin, who was Jewish.

I don't know which religion/faith Joan Baez follows today, but her family, I understand, converted to being Quakers having previously been Methodists.

My mistake............I should have realised she was a "Quaker"......I read her biography not long ago............

Cheers

Sgt S

Liked
    1 times
    name='Sgt Sunshine']My mistake............I should have realised she was a "Quaker"......I read her biography not long ago............

Cheers

Sgt S

Remember also, Sarge, Dylan himself was going to convert to Christianity back in the late 70's, and he did at least a couple of albums with Christian themes: Slow Train Coming , was one of them, IIRC

Liked
    212 times
    name='HUGHJAMPTON']Remember also, Sarge, Dylan himself was going to convert to Christianity back in the late 70's, and he did at least a couple of albums with Christian themes: Slow Train Coming , was one of them, IIRC

Thats right Hugh..............It was the reason I finally stopped the, year on year, must buy Dylans latest output fiasco...............

"Slow Train Coming" & "Saved" was just taking it a bit too far........Since '72 I'd bought everything he'd released up to that point.............Highway 61 Re-visited being the high point..........

Sgt S

Liked
    1 times
    name='Sgt Sunshine']Thats right Hugh..............It was the reason I finally stopped the, year on year, must buy Dylans latest output fiasco...............

"Slow Train Coming" & "Saved" was just taking it a bit too far........Since '72 I'd bought everything he'd released up to that point.............Highway 61 Re-visited being the high point..........

Sgt S

I stopped buying after Blood on The Tracks, but I did see him live a few times in the 70's.

Slow Train isn't that bad , really, I may supplement the collection with it later. I have bought the Bootleg series, which, imo, are excellent.

Liked
    0 times
    Hi Sarge and Hugh. I am a fan of Dylan from the sixties to the present. I think that Bob is a big Hank Snow fan (no Christmas pun intended). On 'Self Portrait' when Bob does the Nashville type songs, he 'croons' just like Hank Snow. The recitation above is very similar in style to the narrations done by Hank too, such as 'The face on the barroom floor.' Recently it was thought that an early Dylan school poem had been discovered, but it was a copy written out by Bob of 'Little Buddy', a Country Music song by, you've guessed it, Hank Snow.

Liked
    1 times
    name='Briant']Hi Sarge and Hugh. I am a fan of Dylan from the sixties to the present. I think that Bob is a big Hank Snow fan (no Christmas pun intended). On 'Self Portrait' when Bob does the Nashville type songs, he 'croons' just like Hank Snow. The recitation above is very similar in style to the narrations done by Hank too, such as 'The face on the barroom floor.' Recently it was thought that an early Dylan school poem had been discovered, but it was a copy written out by Bob of 'Little Buddy', a Country Music song by, you've guessed it, Hank Snow.

Hi Briant, i didn't know of Bob's liking for Hank Snow, and the poem story is classic

Which period of his career do you favour?

Liked
    212 times
    name='Briant']Hi Sarge and Hugh. I am a fan of Dylan from the sixties to the present. I think that Bob is a big Hank Snow fan (no Christmas pun intended). On 'Self Portrait' when Bob does the Nashville type songs, he 'croons' just like Hank Snow. The recitation above is very similar in style to the narrations done by Hank too, such as 'The face on the barroom floor.' Recently it was thought that an early Dylan school poem had been discovered, but it was a copy written out by Bob of 'Little Buddy', a Country Music song by, you've guessed it, Hank Snow.

Hi Briant..........

I knew Dylan was enthralled by the Rock N Roll of Little Richard, and went on to "ride the rails" a la Woody Guthrie..........but Hank Snow, thats a new one on me..........

Sgt S

I think it was Lester Bangs whose review of "Self Portrait" in Creem magazine started with the famous quote.............."What is this S**T..."

Pretty sharpish back into the studio & hey presto...........New Morning

Liked
    212 times
    name='HUGHJAMPTON']I stopped buying after Blood on The Tracks, but I did see him live a few times in the 70's.

Slow Train isn't that bad , really, I may supplement the collection with it later. I have bought the Bootleg series, which, imo, are excellent.

You mean you didn't rush out to buy "Desire"....

Such an excellent album..............Were you at Earls Court '78?

If so we may have met....

Sgt S

Liked
    0 times
    Hi Hugh. I favour the mid sixties period of 'Bringing it all back home', 'Highway 61 Revisited' and 'Blonde on Blonde', then his recordings with The Band, then 'Blood on the tracks.' I like the 'Biograph' box set and the recent outtakes series too.

Liked
    0 times
    Hi Sarge, I think it was Greil Marcus who gave the famous thumbs down to 'Self Portrait', though I like that album beter than 'New Morning'.

Liked
    1 times
    name='Sgt Sunshine']You mean you didn't rush out to buy "Desire"....

Such an excellent album..............Were you at Earls Court '78?

If so we may have met....

Sgt S

I have Desire now, but back then, I was buying punk and Beatle bootlegs, so, there wasn't enough money in the coffers. I agree though, a good album. Have you seen Renaldo and Clara, the film he did?

In '78 I saw him at Blackbushe, where the support included, Joan Armatrading, Eric Clapton, and Graham Parker and the Rumour: a very hot day, too.

Liked
    212 times
    name='Briant']Hi Sarge, I think it was Greil Marcus who gave the famous thumbs down to 'Self Portrait', though I like that album beter than 'New Morning'.
    Cheers Briant.............

Your probably right.......................the memory is a bit vague.....

Must have "Lester Bangs" on the brain after seeing him portrayed in the film "Almost Famous"........

I like all his albums to varying degrees......but his 65-66 period is still my favourite.....bet you've seen that Dylan bio-pic....."I'm Not There"

Sgt S

Liked
    1 times
    name='Briant']Hi Hugh. I favour the mid sixties period of 'Bringing it all back home', 'Highway 61 Revisited' and 'Blonde on Blonde', then his recordings with The Band, then 'Blood on the tracks.' I like the 'Biograph' box set and the recent outtakes series too.

Ditto Although I wasn't that keen on BOTT to begin with.

No doubt, you've the bootlegs of The Basement Tapes?

Liked
    212 times
    name='HUGHJAMPTON']I have Desire now, but back then, I was buying punk and Beatle bootlegs, so, there wasn't enough money in the coffers. I agree though, a good album. Have you seen Renaldo and Clara, the film he did?

In '78 I saw him at Blackbushe, where the support included, Joan Armatrading, Eric Clapton, and Graham Parker and the Rumour: a very hot day, too.

I wasn't at Blackbush......but the wife was.......(before we met).....so you may have met her She was 17.....

Earls Court concert was only a few weeks before......

Must have been early "Punk" in '75 ........Have never seen Renaldo and Clara....would I be able to stay awake that long..................Think it has my old mate Allen Ginsberg in it..........

Saw Eric at a Hyde Park concert when Dylan played Princess Trust in mid 90's....He was terrible...(Dylan I mean).......The Who were the best.........

Cheers

Sgt S

Liked
    1 times
    name='Sgt Sunshine']I wasn't at Blackbush......but the wife was.......(before we met).....so you may have met her She was 17.....

Earls Court concert was only a few weeks before......

Must have been early "Punk" in '75 ........Have never seen Renaldo and Clara....would I be able to stay awake that long..................Think it has my old mate Allen Ginsberg in it..........

Saw Eric at a Hyde Park concert when Dylan played Princess Trust in mid 90's....He was terrible...(Dylan I mean).......The Who were the best.........

Cheers

Sgt S

Yeah, Sarge, we were the only ones there, of course I remember her

Probably not, but the concert footage is good

Who was drumming with The Who, Zak?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast