Thread: Cry Wolf (1980)

Liked
    0 times
    Hi All, Years ago (60's or 70@s ?) I saw a wonderful british short which was in black and white. It was a spoof werewolf type. It started off deadpan but the penny dropped with the audience after a few minutes.

The action took place on the Isle of dogs!! The chief investigating policeman was a man by the name of Barker!! There is a great scene (one of a number) where a little old lady comes out of a corner shop at night and turns town a dim alleyway.

You see her followed by a shadow of something that looks like a dog upright. You hear a quavery moan and a bump and the scene fades. It subsequently is revealed that she has been mugged for a packet of winalot. I do seem to remember that one of the actors was I believe a Canadian - Jack something or other! Does anyone know the title of this gem please?

Liked
    80 times
    Cry Wolf?

More here:

Cry Wolf (1980)

E.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm sure Euryale's spot on.

I remember seeing this at the cinema (as a support to "Breaking Glass", maybe) and then a few times on television in the 1980s. Good fun.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    I'd agree with the consensus here - I think I saw this as support for Airplane!

Liked
    0 times

Very many thanks. Greatly appreciated. Will have a browse now and see if I can help someone. geup.

Junior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    I saw this, too, as a B feature, can't remember the main film. The scientist's short-sighted girlfried put "wolf extract" into his tea instead of milk. The old lady kept getting mugged to steal her supply of Winalot [sog biscuits]; a warehouse was broken into and cases of dog food stolen; police took descriptions to draw a likeness, what energed was a collie with hat and raincoat; he was trapped in Barking, and was shot with a silver bullet, after snarling at police [subtitled, You'll never take me alive, coppers!] and ran off to a vet's - subtitled grojwling, "Just fix me up, doc, and you won't get hurt"!

I've been trying to track this film down ever since; found it, now to find a copy of it!

ps - just tried Amazon; put in "Cry Wolf", too much detours; tried "Paul Maxwell" , the first thing it offered me was Elvis Presleys' Blue Hawaii. go figure. nothing I can think of gets any sensible results. If I knew who made it, or who owns the company now, might be worth writing to them

pps: asked Mr Google; found this:
    http://www.eofftv.com/c/cry/cry_wolf_main.htm
    Last edited by franl155; 13-11-12 at 08:33 PM. Reason: add data

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I think I also saw it as a second feature to Airplane. Very well made satire on a low budget with some witty lines.

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    I saw it then too, plus it was on TV on 9th August 1984. As well as Paul Maxwell, there's Rosalind Ayres, Stephen Greif as a Van Helsing-type and James Bree as the police inspector. It was a Picture Partnership Production. Sadly, I only have part of it, the beginning's missing.