Senior Member Country: Great Britain GoggleboxUK's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    Can anyone help me identify a TV series from the mid to late 70's which I believe was set in the adtermath of a nuclear holocaust.

The series centred on a group of survivors (which I thought may have been the title but IMDb doesn't appear to agree) who band together in an attempt to stay alive.

The settings are very bleak, everywhere is deserted with very few people having made it alive. Over time the group becomes larger and splits into 2 groups after someone kills a group member who I think was a little 'slow'.

I remember scenes where the group raid supermarkets for food and I think they camped below some kind of water tower or similar structure.

I'd love to track this one down, it had the same effect on me as Dr Who and I watched most of it from behind the settee.

I'd be very grateful if someone can help identify the series, overjoyed if anyone has it or knows where I can get it.

Thanks.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I am pretty sure that is the original version of Survivors, there was one episode where a character was killed off as he had been suspected of a crime in the community.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Definitely Survivors. The character killed by the community on suspicion of murder happens about half way through the first series - I was very impressed by it, partly because the actress who played the original victim had visited my school for a drama workshop after a couple of her episodes were shown so it was quite shocking seeing her final appearance a couple of days later. The raiding supermarkets happens around episode 3 (there's a hanged man wih a placard round his neck saying 'Looter', which, IIRC, someone helpful explained the meaning of). It's all been released on dvd. The first series is very good indeed, the second a bit too soap opera-ish and slightly repetitive and the third series was a bit of a mess, IMO (there were a lot of behind the scenes problems).

Liked
    6 times
    "Survivors" (1975)

That's it!

Thanks aj, seems adding "The" to the title confused IMDb, seems I'm not losing my memory as bad as I suspected.

The great news is that it is available on R2 DVD, time for a purchase I think!

Liked
    6 times
    name='CaptainWaggett']Definitely Survivors. The character killed by the community on suspicion of murder happens about half way through the first series - I was very impressed by it, partly because the actress who played the original victim had visited my school for a drama workshop after a couple of her episodes were shown so it was quite shocking seeing her final appearance a couple of days later. The raiding supermarkets happens around episode 3 (there's a hanged man wih a placard round his neck saying 'Looter', which, IIRC, someone helpful explained the meaning of). It's all been released on dvd. The first series is very good indeed, the second a bit too soap opera-ish and slightly repetitive and the third series was a bit of a mess, IMO (there were a lot of behind the scenes problems).

Thanks Capt.

I've just been reading that Terry Nayion created the series but stopped writing part way through the second series and went on to do Blake's 7 instead. It seems that his departure sent the show into a bit of a downward spiral.

Personally, I don't think I saw past the first series but I remember it being so good it had me riveted (I was 9 at the time).

I've just ordered the complete series 1-3 boxset, can't wait til it gets here and I can relive the drama.

Your mention of the hanged man sparked the memory cells and I'm certain this is what I was looking for. Thank you for your help.