Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Channel 4 3D TV

Senior Member Country: Great Britain hhhhancock's Avatar
    Liked
    2 times
    An article in todays Daily Mail (it's my wife's - honestly) saying that Channel 4 are introducing 3D programmes in their schedule quite soon. It goes on to say viewers can pick up free 3D glasses at Sainsbury stores.

Sounds interesting.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    If 3D DVDs are anything to go by, whilst the quality is OK using the specs, with normal viewing the picture is not and is inclined to be blurred.

Virgin 1 are showing a 3D programme this week and some magazines are issuing with it free specs. it will be interesting to see what the picture quality/realism is like.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain hhhhancock's Avatar
    Liked
    2 times
    name='johng']If 3D DVDs are anything to go by, whilst the quality is OK using the specs, with normal viewing the picture is not and is inclined to be blurred.

Virgin 1 are showing a 3D programme this week and some magazines are issuing with it free specs. it will be interesting to see what the picture quality/realism is like.

Do you know what programme they are showing and when please?

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='hhhhancock;351943]
    Quote Originally Posted by johng'
    If 3D DVDs are anything to go by, whilst the quality is OK using the specs, with normal viewing the picture is not and is inclined to be blurred.

Do you know what programme they are showing and when please?
    And what sort of glasses they require?

Most TV broadcasts of 3D films use the red/green separation but most of the cinema films are now using polarised separation which gives better results

Steve

Liked
    129 times
    Does anyone really care about 3D? Its just a gimmick & comes round every generation each time promising to be better than before. I cannot for the life of me think of one film I have watched where I thought it could have been improved by being in 3D.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    12 times
    Give it a chance Timmy Lea...I have been using the coloured glasses for years with film (35/16 and 8mm) and video/DVD...Of course it will never be as good as the polarised system but the last two issued on Blue Ray (Journey to the center of the Earth/My Bloody Valentine) using a purplish and green filter has been first class...OK you lose a lot of the colour but the effect is very good indeed.

3-D on the cheap is getting better!

Film Man.

Liked
    418 times
    name='Timmy_Lea']Does anyone really care about 3D? Its just a gimmick & comes round every generation each time promising to be better than before. I cannot for the life of me think of one film I have watched where I thought it could have been improved by being in 3D.
    I doubt if any film that you have watched could be improved by being in 3D - because it was designed to be seen in 2D. A 3D film is designed as such from the beginning.

Mind you, one critic did say of Cameron's Avatar that he quickly got used to it and felt it was nothing special - because he sees things in 3D all the time in real life

Steve

Liked
    129 times
    I just think 3D is a gimmick, & we have to pay extra for it!!

Basically its to combat piracy & try to get people back to the movies, away from their home cinema blu-ray & sexy HD tellys!

Liked
    418 times
    name='Timmy_Lea']I just think 3D is a gimmick, & we have to pay extra for it!!

Basically its to combat piracy & try to get people back to the movies, away from their home cinema blu-ray & sexy HD tellys!
    You don't have to pay extra for it. You don't have to watch it

But yes, it is a gimmick to get people back into the cinemas. Just like wide screen, IMAX, surround sound and every other gimmick they've tried since TV became popular

Steve

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    another excuse not to bother with quality script and use the smokescreen of 'technology'-i hope it goes the same way as the 3D phase of the 50s and the mid 80s

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I think they should convert old movies to 3D, like The Exorcist, so when Linda Blair vomits, It'll be right at you.

Liked
    0 times
    Hi

Get used to it they are now producing tv sets that will make it the norm eventually.Sky and virgin are both heavily involved.The main Lynch pin for Channel 4s 3d week is THe Coronation of Queen Elizabeth

Liked
    418 times
    name='paul bisson']Hi

Get used to it they are now producing tv sets that will make it the norm eventually.Sky and virgin are both heavily involved.The main Lynch pin for Channel 4s 3d week is THe Coronation of Queen Elizabeth
    What can they do with that to make it 3D? It wasn't filmed in 3D

Steve

Senior Member Country: Scotland julian_craster's Avatar
    Liked
    103 times
    Apparently some 3D film made at the time of the coronation has been discovered and restored

In 1953, 3D was all the rage ....

If you subscribe to a HD Channel it could look good.......

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    4 times
    The Coronation of Queen Elizabeth was a 30 minute film in 3D made of course, in 1953 and shown in cinemas at the time.

Liked
    0 times
    Hi

Virgin are showing Chuck 9.00 Tuesday 25th August in 3d.Its part of the 2nd series of this show.

Incidently Steve the idea of filming the Coronation at the time was to enhance it with depth and it went out as a support feature into lots of Cinemas

Liked
    129 times
    name='will.15']I think they should convert old movies to 3D, like The Exorcist, so when Linda Blair vomits, It'll be right at you.
    & combine it with smellovision!

Liked
    1 times
    Why don't they spend their money on better programmes - rather than different ways of watching s*** programmes?

Liked
    418 times
    name='SirOllyBolly']Why don't they spend their money on better programmes - rather than different ways of watching s*** programmes?

Have you been watching On Tour With The Queen on Channel 4? That's a great series

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    Did anyone watch the Virgin 3d 9.00 on Tuesday.....I did ...no depth ..It didnt seem to work at all.I bought a shutter system about 12 months ago complete with lots of the old 3d films....and that works ok gives lots of depth to the film ...it seems to work better on old TV equipment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast