Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked
    0 times
    Copies of the Beatles album 'The Beatles' (more commonly known as The White Album) were individually numbered on original release. I believe the lower numbers can fetch quite high prices. What number is your copy? Mine is 0518187, so I don't think I need to include its value when planning my retirement.

Senior Member Country: Vatican Sgt Sunshine's Avatar
    Liked
    212 times
    I wonder when they stopped issuing those numbers........mine hasn't got one, but then I bought it in about 1976......

Apparently according to Wiki......number "5" sold for a high figure a few years ago...

Sgt S

Liked
    0 times
    Cheers, Sarge. I expect the low numbered albums were kept by the band members, Apple execs, hangers-on etc.

I wonder if anyone has tried to fake a low number?

Senior Member Country: England woody123's Avatar
    Liked
    11 times
    The numbered albums were only the first pressing run when the album was released in 68.If you bought yours new in the 70's it would be maybe a 3rd or 4th repressing.

Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Liked
    143 times
    The Beatles took 1 - 4, but I can't remember if Lennon or McCartney got number one. I imagine Ringo got 4.

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    i'm surprised lennon didn't get 'number 9...........number 9...........number 9.....'!

Liked
    212 times
    I wonder if George Martin got number "5"...........was he the fifth Beatle or was it Brian Epstein....?

Cheers

Sgt S

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    name='Sgt Sunshine']I wonder if George Martin got number "5"...........was he the fifth Beatle or was it Brian Epstein....?

Cheers

Sgt S

Or was it Billy Preston? Although he came along after the White Album there was some speculation that he was going to be offered a permanent place in the Beatles just before they broke up.

Dave.

Liked
    1 times
    I now own, 0515396, which was bought in 1970 when we got a stereo player, previous to that the mono album's number, bought on day of release by my brother, was in the 90,000's.

A couple of the very excellent "campfire"/Esher demos. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA3oSBI5KN0[/ame] [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdQDPMuS7T4[/ame]

Liked
    0 times
    name='HUGHJAMPTON']I now own, 0515396, which was bought in 1970 when we got a stereo player, previous to that the mono album's number, bought on day of release by my brother, was in the 90,000's.

Cheers, Huge - yours is the lowest so far in this thread. I'm accepting full numbers only, btw, so your brother's doesn't count unless you can provide full details. I'm a devil, aren't I?

Any other numbers out there?

I have a list of all the numbers and who they were sold to, so no fibbing

Liked
    1 times
    name='Husky']Cheers, Huge - yours is the lowest so far in this thread. I'm accepting full numbers only, btw, so your brother's doesn't count unless you can provide full details. I'm a devil, aren't I?

Any other numbers out there?

I have a list of all the numbers and who they were sold to, so no fibbing

You tinker, you. We gave the original record away, when the new copy was purchased, so that's long gone.

Remember, the USofA, had it's own numbers. I think the owner of number one, displays it at Beatles' conventions.

Liked
    0 times
    I didn't know the US had a separate series of numbers (actually, I'd never thought about it but it makes sense I s'pose).

Also I wonder if the mono pressings were done first and so got the lower numbers?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQDDfW2pMhk]YouTube - The Beatles Unrealesed Song - Revolution 1 (Take 20)[/ame]

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    Some of my vinyl has odd little messages etched into the central bit, looking like freehand engraving. I haven't looked for ages and ages now, but I'm sure some are just like graffiti - the guys in the factory must have just done it for a laugh.....

Sort of slogans like "Keep on truckin'" and things like that.....

Liked
    212 times
    name='Moor Larkin']Some of my vinyl has odd little messages etched into the central bit, looking like freehand engraving. I haven't looked for ages and ages now, but I'm sure some are just like graffiti - the guys in the factory must have just done it for a laugh.....

Sort of slogans like "Keep on truckin'" and things like that.....

Yes a common one on some of my later 70's LP's was...................

"A PORKY PRIME CUT".............

Always wondered who "Porky" was..............

Time to get those LP's spinning chaps.....

Sgt S

Liked
    1 times
    name='Husky']I didn't know the US had a separate series of numbers (actually, I'd never thought about it but it makes sense I s'pose).

Also I wonder if the mono pressings were done first and so got the lower numbers?

YouTube - The Beatles Unrealesed Song - Revolution 1 (Take 20)

Thanks for that, Husky, not heard this version before, thought it may have been a Mash-up, but no, I reckon that's genuine.

Anyway, here from November of last year. Beatles rare 'White Album' for sale on eBay | Musicradar.com

Liked
    1 times
    name='Sgt Sunshine']Yes a common one on some of my later 70's LP's was...................

"A PORKY PRIME CUT".............

Always wondered who "Porky" was..............

Time to get those LP's spinning chaps.....

Sgt S

Here you go, Sarge. George Peckham - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Liked
    212 times
    name='HUGHJAMPTON']Here you go, Sarge. George Peckham - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cheers Hugh....................what a lucky fella he was.........

Sgt S

Liked
    1 times
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuNV5O1qEPI]YouTube - The Beatles - Helter Skelter Rehearsal[/ame] [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0Uwu0oO9Qw]YouTube - BEATLES RARE FILM found in ringo stars closest - Blackbird[/ame]

Footage from the period. If I was pushed on a favourite album of their's, it would be this one.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I am pretty sure that "Tommy" by The Who, released a month after The White Album, was similarly numbered.

I wonder what the idea was ?

Liked
    1 times
    name='Tony Pendrey']I am pretty sure that "Tommy" by The Who, released a month after The White Album, was similarly numbered.

I wonder what the idea was ?

Hmm, can't remember that, and there's no mention of it at Wiki (which means sweet FA): are you sure the bloke in the record shop, hadn't been at work with his biro on it, just to get an extra couple of quid out of you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast