Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    1 times
    Can anyone add any more detail to the locations used ?

I was living in Bracknell in the early 90's but I didn't

recognise anywhere. I guess it changed a lot in the intervening

20 years or may have been shot in nearby towns. Slough was

mentioned for the school scenes.

Peter

Senior Member Country: Europe
    Liked
    36 times

Peter
    Before you joined, someone posted to say the filming had been done at her school and she had been an extra. I thought it had been in this thread but can't find it here anywhere so it must be in Jenny's own thread. Should have been Jan-March this year.

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times

Peter
    Jenny's character lived in the POINT ROYAL tower block in Bracknell and her friend in the nearby houses on the same estate. Pevsner, the architectural historian, actually liked the 1961 tower and said to balance up the composition, three blocks should have been built instead of just one.

It is now one of the very few 1960s conservation areas in the country, but could still do with a little TLC...

Here's Point Royal and the building nearby where Jenny recovers the torn jumper.

And the houses where Clare Sutcliffe's character lives

Both photographed in November 2004

SMUDGE

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Can anyone out there confirm the location of the park in Bracknell where the murders occur in this 1969 film starring Jenny Agutter? After a recent visit I think it could be Mill Pond which I understand had a complete makeover in 2002. Any Bracknell residents past or present able to help?

Senior Member Country: Europe
    Liked
    36 times
    Can anyone out there confirm the location of the park in Bracknell where the murders occur in this 1969 film starring Jenny Agutter? After a recent visit I think it could be Mill Pond which I understand had a complete makeover in 2002. Any Bracknell residents past or present able to help?
    If you'd posted this morning I could have asked her!

I'm phoning her again next week so will try to remember to add it to my list unless someone comes up with an answer before.

Liked
    0 times
    appreciate that fellwanderer

Liked
    0 times
    I guess the Mill Pond is the most likely but there was a lot more open space and small ponds in Bracknell in 1969. Perhaps the bus stop and refreshment hut are a clue, as are the lamps round the lake which I'm not sure Mill Pond has got now.

However, the park with the lake where the two girls and Wynne's two brothers visit on a day trip and Corinne flirts disastrously with George is still recognisably South Hill Park.

cheers

John

Liked
    0 times
    Jenny's character lived in the POINT ROYAL tower block in Bracknell and her friend in the nearby houses on the same estate. Pevsner, the architectural historian, actually liked the 1961 tower and said to balance up the composition, three blocks should have been built instead of just one.

It is now one of the very few 1960s conservation areas in the country, but could still do with a little TLC...

Here's Point Royal and the building nearby where Jenny recovers the torn jumper.

And the houses where Clare Sutcliffe's character lives

Both photographed in November 2004

SMUDGE

That tower block looks unique, fantastic and still very modernist, even if it is almost 50 years old.

There are a handful of the best 60's/70's modernist buildings that now have a grade 2 listing including Trellick Tower in Notting Hill and Park Hill flats in Sheffield.

Sadly not all 1960's modernist buildings were built to a high standard and that's why many have disappeared. More so after the 1968 Ronan Point disaster proved they weren't all being built properly.

Apart from 'Mary, Mungo & Midge' I knew nothing about 1960's modernist architecture, but I loved that block of flats that Jenny lived in and I've said it before how the only time I ever recall seeing 'I Start Counting' on TV was during the Summer of 1982. I got to see it twice as I watched it on the family colour TV the night before going on our Summer holiday and I then watched it again a few nights later on our old GEC 14" black & white portable. How? Well we were able to receive BBC1 at home and just BBC1 Wales whilst holidaying in our 1960's 6 berth caravan at Trecco Bay in Porthcawl and BBC1 Wales aired the film on a different evening.

I'm glad I also have a copy on DVD now, because after all that time I got tired of scouring the TV guides to see if it would ever get shown again.

Some screen grabs of Point Royal and the houses where Clare Sutcliffe's character lives: -

And a more recent image of Point Royal taken from Google images: -

Liked
    0 times
    Oh and the Point Royal high rise at Bracknell also featured in the 1972 violent shocker 'The Offence' which starred Sean Connery.

That film is available and I'd also recommend getting a copy of that too.

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    Yes indeed, Point Royal also appears in The Offence which is, as you say Taffy, another darned good film. We revisited Point Royal earlier this year and whilst it isn't by any long chalk falling down, the general area seemed to be a little more 'down at heel' than we remembered...

Smudge

Liked
    0 times
    Yes indeed, Point Royal also appears in The Offence which is, as you say Taffy, another darned good film. We revisited Point Royal earlier this year and whilst it isn't by any long chalk falling down, the general area seemed to be a little more 'down at heel' than we remembered...

Smudge

That's the trouble with grade 2 listing. Nobody can demolish a building that's grade 2 listed, but there's no guaranteed capital to restore or upkeep said building.

Did you take any snaps whilst you were there?

Hopefully it's fortunes will improve because for a start companies like 'A Splash Of Colour' have restored Sheffield's once notorious Park Hill Flats and a row of high rise ex-council tower blocks in Birmingham.

Keeling House is another good example of a modernist building that got saved and is upgraded ex-council stock.

I hope the people of Bracknell will appreciate what they've got, because modernist architecture has been under fire for years and most of the criticism came from people like Prince Charles.

But there is a growing number of people who love the modernist stuff as much as the art deco that used to get destroyed.

Liked
    1 times
    The opening credits of ISC have a pan taken from the tower block showing the little row of shops and the curve of houses. On Google you can see it has changed a little.

bracknell point royal - Google Maps

Junior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    For reference the Film as you're aware was mainly filmed in Bracknell, Berkshire. The main characters Wynne (Jenny Agutter) and her friend (Claire Sutcliffe) lived in Point Royal (uses the internals of Rectory Lane) and 60 Rectory Lane, Easthampstead. In the opening shot it pans showing Easthampstead Shops, The Green and the Community Centre. Other Locations used are St Josephs RC Church (38.32 and 45.00), Charles Square being built, Crossways, Town Centre (18.00 recently demolished), The White House, Easthampstead (26.44 and 44.11), Point Royal, and South Hill Park. Locally there is a Secondary Comprehensive called Brakenhale School (then Borough Green) whether for convenience it was used for the School shots I'm unsure. Concerning the opening scene with the body, it was probably shot at South Hill Park, as Mill Pond was shown in the Offence (1972) as being partially built.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the V detailed information - I LOVE this film - & the theme which 1 of my all time fave singers, Dusty Springfield recorded.

It's often been mistakenly attributed to her on the soundtrack, she prob heard the song , liked it & gave it her whistful yearning quality, which suits the tone of Agutter's character Wynne.

I'll have to see if it's easily reached by public transport, as I'm not a driver, and perhaps have a locations day in summer.

Member Country: England
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi

I did a locations trip by public transport to Bracknell last June, and covered some of the �I Start Counting� locations, plus others from �The Offence� and �Time Bandits�.

I caught a train from Reading (about 20 minutes journey, trains every 30 minutes) and used the �Plus Bus� combined rail/bus ticket. Bracknell buses are fairly frequent and reliable.

The Catholic church, St Joseph�s, is on E side of walkway (Stanley Walk) leading from bus station up to main central �square�. This is only c.5 minutes walk from rail station (film shows views from SW & NW corners of front/side, & close up of entrance) [But interior modern pillars/shrines were shot on a studio set, trying to copy original, and Christ statue inside is different]

The central pedestrian shopping street, Crossways, looking S towards High Street (from Broadway) was less than 5 minutes walk further on. [But, last summer, the shops were deserted and the central benches had changed; now, I think it�s all been demolished, as Shane says above].

I caught a bus from the bus station to Rectory Lane/Point Royal � I think it�s about a 30 minute walk from the church.

Rectory Lane, Easthampstead (a curved terrace row) is just N of Point Royal tower � film shows a close up of no.60 [but the door and windows are now brown, not white]; we also get views along terrace from outside no. 60; view of no. 60 from further back; view to SW along Rectory Lane of corner of shopping precinct (with 2 black pillars); view of Lane (including shopping precinct, Lane, & curved terrace) from some way S [and from tower top, in film, so you can only get approx. equivalent at ground level], by Point Royal [but there are now many more trees, blocking views].

Point Royal tower block � we get views of tower from some way back, from Rectory Lane (and possibly Pond Moor Rd); views looking up tower, to top (some from SW of it ?); views of foot of tower (some from W, on Rectory Lane, including block of garages etc in front of tower), of tower base with nearby car park (not clear which one, but probably to N, off R Lane), of nearby garages (the block to NW of tower, on R Lane, called The Lodge, now a Community Centre) and of entrance to underground car park, facing R Lane [but there are many more trees, as noted above, now, blocking views; last summer there was also scaffolding and wire fencing around bottom edge of tower; tower exterior has been largely re-faced, too]

I then caught another bus to about 10 mins W of South Hill Park, walked there, and then walked a further 10 mins E to get a bus back to station.

South Hill Park, off Ringmead, Birchhill, in SE Bracknell � film shows views from N end of lake, S of main building, looking N at latter, E at park, and S at lake [there are now bigger trees; there�s also been an extension to E end of S H Pk building, and there�s now a fountain in the lake]. South Hill Park arts centre has a bar and restaurant

Hope this is of some use if you decide to go. Bracknell is, to be honest, not the most beautiful town in the country, but has got some interesting buildings and film locations.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Well, I'd have to make a real day of it, as I'd be coming up all the way from Sussex, by the same token, myself & some friends plan to do a "Corruption" /Jigsaw tour later in the year, as I'm fairly close to a lot of the locations.

Anyone who's close by & fancy's joining us, PM me & I'll keep you in the loop as to when it's happening..

Senior Member Country: England phil's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    My nan and grandad lived in Point Royal, second storey from the top, from around '65 to 70' so would have been there when 'I Start Counting' was shot. They then moved about half a mile away to houses which can also be seen in the film, I have'nt seen the film for a while but I think you can see them when Jenny Agutter is getting a backie on the bike.

Point Royal.jpg

This photo borrowed from a post above shows the community hall, which catered for functions, I remember my auntie had her wedding reception there in 1974. It also did jumble sales every other saturday, yes really! it all looks very run down now in the photo.
    I was told Bracknell was a lovely little market town pre 50s but hey! That's progress.

Liked
    1 times
    I watched ISC again not too long ago and oddly enough I seemed to recognise the church which IIRC was sort of diagonally across from the pizza hut back in the early 90s when I lived there.

I do recall one of my work colleagues saying "they made a film here once" but we assumed she meant some sort of new town promotional documentary. She didn't eloborate or say it was a feature film.

I wonder if there are any Bracknell promo films of the early years of similar areas to ISC ?

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    Prince Phillip, of Elizabeth and Phillip fame, does a trip to Bracknell in the 1950's in this short documentary

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/duke-visits-bracknell

He doesn't do the honour of opening a supermarket though, otherwise we might get more of a variety of townscapes.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick C View Post
    Prince Phillip, of Elizabeth and Phillip fame, does a trip to Bracknell in the 1950's in this short documentary

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/duke-visits-bracknell

He doesn't do the honour of opening a supermarket though, otherwise we might get more of a variety of townscapes.
    Other than that, using Local History resources which is more my sort of day job, a selection of new-build photos appears here:-
    http://www.francisfrith.com/bracknell/photos/