Senior Member Country: Great Britain scenesixty's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times
    Has anyone the film 'The Cabin'? Where a man making a telephone call becomes trapped inside with terrifying consequences? This film left me genuinely clammy with fear.

Not dissimilar to 'The Vanishing' minimal dialogue,BUT, with an awful ending...

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    name='scenesixty']Has anyone the film 'The Cabin'? Where a man making a telephone call becomes trapped inside with terrifying consequences? This film left me genuinely clammy with fear.

The ending to The Vanishing is pretty awful!

Senior Member Country: UK frame69's Avatar
    Liked
    15 times
    The film I saw was on ch4 in the early days but this one started with the man going in to retreve a football.

Sorry I was wrong...

[ame="http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NBiIfZwTek&feature=related"]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NBiIfZwTek&feature=related[/ame]

Liked
    5 times
    name='batman']The ending to The Vanishing is pretty awful!

The original (Holland) I think, was masterclass-the remake well, hmmm... It's expensive to buy too!

Senior Member Country: Great Britain GoggleboxUK's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    I once saw a movie which I thought was French about a guy who becomes trapped in a phone box. The box is lifted onto a truck by a crane and taken to a warehouse where there are many people trapped in phone boxes, some of whom are dead and some are skeletons.

No idea what it was called but obviously not a BT advert!

Liked
    5 times
    name='GoggleboxUK']I once saw a movie which I thought was French about a guy who becomes trapped in a phone box. The box is lifted onto a truck by a crane and taken to a warehouse where there are many people trapped in phone boxes, some of whom are dead and some are skeletons.

No idea what it was called but obviously not a BT advert!

That's the one allright! 'La Cabina' (Spain-1972)

Liked
    6 times
    Ah, today IS a good day!

I saw this when I was about 8 or 9 years old and nobody I've ever mentioned it to had heard of it.

Now its just a case of downloading it and stitching the bits together.

Goggle is a happy man! Cheers Farame abd scenesixty!

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    name='scenesixty']The original (Holland) I think, was masterclass-the remake well, hmmm... It's expensive to buy too!

The Dutch original is a stunning piece of film-making. The less said about the remake the better.

Does anyone else remember another pretty good Dutch thriller called Amsterdamned?

Liked
    5 times
    name='GoggleboxUK']Ah, today IS a good day!

I saw this when I was about 8 or 9 years old and nobody I've ever mentioned it to had heard of it.

Now its just a case of downloading it and stitching the bits together.

Goggle is a happy man! Cheers Farame abd scenesixty!

Hi Gogglebox glad it's sparked your memory-I've emailed someone who has a clear DVD copy! The film is the stuff of nightmares.....

Liked
    5 times
    name='scenesixty']Has anyone the film 'The Cabin'? Where a man making a telephone call becomes trapped inside with terrifying consequences? This film left me genuinely clammy with fear.

Some films have the actual telephone itself, where, it becomes an instrument of terror.

Ie: Sorry Wrong Number (1948)/The Twilight Zone: "Night Call" (1964)/Don't Talk To Strange Men (1962) However, this petrifying short movie has the KIOSK itself as the receptacle of horror-the occupant inside is doomed from the very start..

Liked
    6 times
    name='scenesixty']Some films have the actual telephone itself, where, it becomes an instrument of terror.

Ie: Sorry Wrong Number (1948)/The Twilight Zone: "Night Call" (1964)/Don't Talk To Strange Men (1962) However, this petrifying short movie has the KIOSK itself as the receptacle of horror-the occupant inside is doomed from the very start..

Scream also makes good use of the telephone as an object of menace.

So we have the phone and the kiosk yet we haven't touched on the most terrifying part...

The Bill!

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    1 times
    I remember La Cabina quite well. It used to be shown occasionally by the BBC late at night during the late 70s and early 80s. It was indeed a Spanish film, and I recall seeing it in Spain as well when I was there in 1982/3. I always regarded it as part comedy and horror as there are some funny scenes when people passing by are trying to free him.

When I was in Spain a few years ago, I enquired at a video store about the availability of the film and was told it had never been released on DVD or even VHS.

A little while back when BBC4 were showing a season of short Spanish films under the heading of "Films To Keep You Awake", I asked the BBC if they'd be showing La Cabina, but they said it wasn't on the schedule and they had no plans at present to show it, but they may do in the future. I'm still waiting so that I can record it myself.

Liked
    0 times
    I do have a real liking for this kind of horror - 'The Twilight Zone' 'One Step Beyond'

etc.. if only TV would show more of the same and films minus violence and mayhem please

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    I have a good copy of this if you're still interested. Send me a pm.

Stephen Laws

The Midnight Man: The Official Website of the author Stephen Laws