Liked
    0 times
    Hi,

I'm creating a teaser trailer for Media A2 and wish it to following films such as Vacancy, The Strangers and The Grudge. What elements/conventions would you typically wish to see in a horror trailer, and what advice could you possibly give me to make it as best as possible.

Cheers

Senior Member Country: Great Britain GoggleboxUK's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    For me the most effective horror trailers are those that potray suspense as opposed to actaul horror.

The original trailer for Alien is a classic example showing only settings and slowly revealing the title of the movie.

Perhaps use an edited sequence of cips which get shorter to emulate a rising heartbeat, speedong the pace only to show something really freaky at the very end, possibly even after the 'heartbeat' has flatlined and stopped then use a rapid zoom in to your scary thing lasting only a fraction of a second so it's almost subliminal.

Creepy voiceovers are better than movie dialogue and you definitely need eye candy, either attractive young people, spectacular / unusual settings or hinted nudity.

Music is very important if you use it, something very slow, monotonous or droning works well.

Try to think of natural phobias ( spiders, snakes, enclosed spaces, the dark etc) and use those as themes. For example, you may not use an actual spider but a small clockwork toy with a similar scurrying motion can remind people of their subconscious fear.

Good luck with your project and don't forget to show us once you've done it

Senior Member Country: UK quippy's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    You should first decide exactly what feeling you're trying to communicate to the viewers of your trailer. As Gogglebox says, suspense wins hands down every time, and always makes people want to see the film.

Don't overcomplicate it. Keep it simple, and remember its meant to hint at what the film will reveal, its not meant to be a short version of the film.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qUIdeiyxwA]YouTube - Scanners Trailer[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKWEPp4YW5w]YouTube - Don't Look Now Trailer (1973)[/ame]

Liked
    0 times
    As part of a college media project I must create my own film trailer.

I have decided to go with the horror genre and would like to know your views and opinions to what conventions really make a good horror movie!

Feel free to help with my planning research.. thanks!

Senior Member Country: Great Britain GoggleboxUK's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    Someone else beat you to it Keith, I recommend you see this thread:

http://filmdope.com/forums/me...ror-genre.html

Good Luck with your progect

Senior Member Country: Australia Corinne's Avatar
    Liked
    12 times
    The element of surprise as in Count Yorga when he would appear out of nowhere & he'd be running at you. Lifted me out of my theatre seat I can tell you!

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Close-up of a hand holding a dagger, slashing at the camera, accompanied by jarring music.

An attractive young woman screaming (scantily dressed is a plus)

Exterior view of an old mansion during a thunder storm

Lots and lots of screaming (women only)

A hand coming out of the ground in a cemetary

Maniacal laughter (male only)

A body falling down the stairs

Show blood dripping

Senior Member Country: Germany Wolfgang's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    My favourite horror trailer is for "Who Saw Her Die?" and it pretty much ticks off everything on Will's list:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPr4RsEvSMI]YouTube - Who Saw Her Die Trailer[/ame]

Liked
    0 times
    Well thanks for the information.. il try adding some of these during production! Much appreciated

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks a lot for the help, much appreciated :)

Liked
    0 times
    I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the key conventions that create suspense and tension in a Horror teaser trailer are?

Also if anyone could think of a suitable name for a horror film that follows a group a teens camping in the woods that would be fab!

Thanks

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    name='Russol']I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the key conventions that create suspense and tension in a Horror teaser trailer are?

Also if anyone could think of a suitable name for a horror film that follows a group a teens camping in the woods that would be fab!

Thanks

Wouldn't it be a better idea if you thought up your own title .... it is your trailer after all.

And, as we have had other people asking this question I have merged the threads. Have look through these posts.