Thread: Uncle Silas

Senior Member Country: England faginsgirl's Avatar
    Liked
    416 times
    Hi.

I could watch this 1947 film over and over again for its atmosphere. Jean Simmons and John Laurie are great as usual and Uncle Silas has to be one of the creepiess chracters in British film.

Anyone else like this film?

xx

Liked
    137 times
    I could watch this 1947 film over and over again for its atmosphere. Jean Simmons and John Laurie are great as usual and Uncle Silas has to be one of the creepiess chracters in British film.

Anyone else like this film?

xx
    Ah a fellow fan

Stunning film and Katina Paxinou's governess must be one of the creepist female performances ever.

Like you a film I never tire of

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    I have never seen this version, but recently acquired it. In view of your posts, I'm looking forward to watching it even more!

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    That's four of us ... it's a favourite in The Batcave too. A wonderful film.

Liked
    416 times
    I think more ghost stories from Le Fanu should be made as are the M.R James stories. I don`t think Le Fanu was and is as highly regarded but I like his works and they would make great Christmas ghost stories.

xx

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    I think more ghost stories from Le Fanu should be made as are the M.R James stories. I don`t think Le Fanu was and is as highly regarded but I like his works and they would make great Christmas ghost stories.

xx
    i second that! m.r.james credited le fanu as the best ghost story writer of his generation and who'd argue with m.r.james? i love le fanu's 'in a glass darkly' and think it would make a great series! i haven't seen the 1947 'uncle silas' but will make a point of getting it-i love the 'mystery and imagination' version!

Senior Member Country: Germany
    Liked
    1 times
    Carmilla from LeFanu's collection In A Glass Darkly was, of course, filmed a couple of times ...

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    Carmilla from LeFanu's collection In A Glass Darkly was, of course, filmed a couple of times ...
    so i've heard-i don't think i've ever seen one though! i'm surprised that 'green tea' has not been adapted!

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Ah a fellow fan

Stunning film and Katina Paxinou's governess must be one of the creepist female performances ever.

Like you a film I never tire of
    Hear hear! I agree that Katina Paxinou's performance in this deliciously atmospheric film is splendid - the epitome of grand guignol!

Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    TCM (U.S.) ran UNCLE SILAS last month and I just got around to watching my recording last night. I had never heard of it before, but any film with Jean Simmons in it is worth seeing. While I thought it started out kind of slow, once it took off it turned out to be great fun. This is one I'll keep and will have to show some of my film buff friends. A very enjoyable surprise.

Liked
    416 times
    TCM (U.S.) ran UNCLE SILAS last month and I just got around to watching my recording last night. I had never heard of it before, but any film with Jean Simmons in it is worth seeing. While I thought it started out kind of slow, once it took off it turned out to be great fun. This is one I'll keep and will have to show some of my film buff friends. A very enjoyable surprise.
    Yeah, the beginning is a bit slow and you`re itching to get to the uncle bit

xx

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    This has been released uncut on DVD in Greece with the original English audio. Only official release I believe. I picked a copy up on ebay.