Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: UK Windthrop's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    A new bio of the much loved Margaret Rutherford is out in september from Andy Merriman (biographer of Hattie Jacques)

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Margaret-Rutherford-Life-Andy-Merriman/dp/1845134451/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241644533&sr=1-3]Margaret Rutherford: A Life: Amazon.co.uk: Andy Merriman: Books[/ame]

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    A new bio of the much loved Margaret Rutherford is out in september from Andy Merriman (biographer of Hattie Jacques)

Margaret Rutherford: A Life: Amazon.co.uk: Andy Merriman: Books
    I thought the Hattie Jacques biography was very good - not a hagiography but still affectionate. The author is the son of Eric 'Beyond our Ken' Merriman which presumably helps with getting comedy contacts.

Liked
    44 times
    It would be nice to think there might be a TV documentry about her to tie in with the publication - BBC4 would be ideal. Heres hoping.

Liked
    492 times
    You'd think there might be a fair amount of mileage in more documentaries about straight performers like they've done with the Legends series (which are all about music people). We can but hope.

Liked
    44 times
    You'd think there might be a fair amount of mileage in more documentaries about straight performers like they've done with the Legends series (which are all about music people). We can but hope.
    I do hope that he has managed to to generate some new material for the book and doesn't just rehash from other (nor just Rutherford) bios. There re still plenty of connections still around -

Charles Tingwell

Tony Benn

Ian Carmichael

and there will still be many more

Liked
    0 times
    The biog has been published and has a page write up in todays Daily Express.My library has it on order and i am No 1 in the queue.

Liked
    44 times
    Just finished it. Good on detail and certainly the most definitive book about MR so far. The other bios (by her adopted 'daughter' and a ghosted autobio) are weak and innacurrate by comparison. Merriman does not spare us the tragic aspects of her life - mental health difficulties and the sad decline in her health and career - and in doing so provides an engrossing read about an eccentric and remarkable character. Merriman also debunks a few myths about MR's adopted 'daughter' and her biography.

Only real disapointment is no input from the late Charles Tingwell which would have been nice.

Would recommend this well researched bio to anyone interested in MR.

Senior Member Country: UK Wee Sonny MacGregor's Avatar
    Liked
    4 times
    spelling!In a review in today's newspaper Roger Lewis suggests that Andy Merriman's should next project should be a biography of Irene Handl. Hear hear

Liked
    492 times
    spelling!In a review in today's newspaper Roger Lewis suggests that Andy Merriman's should next project should be a biography of Irene Handl. Hear hear
    Though since Roger Lewis has a bit of form in these matters, couldn't he tackle Irene?

Liked
    44 times
    Though since Roger Lewis has a bit of form in these matters, couldn't he tackle Irene?
    He certainly mentions her in his Sellers bio

Senior Member Country: UK Wee Sonny MacGregor's Avatar
    Liked
    4 times

I'd prefer Andy Merriman as Roger Lewis tends to "intrude" in his biographies!

Liked
    0 times
    I still think that a biog of Robert Newton is long overdue.

Liked
    492 times
    Just finished it. Good on detail and certainly the most definitive book about MR so far. The other bios (by her adopted 'daughter' and a ghosted autobio) are weak and innacurrate by comparison. Merriman does not spare us the tragic aspects of her life - mental health difficulties and the sad decline in her health and career - and in doing so provides an engrossing read about an eccentric and remarkable character. Merriman also debunks a few myths about MR's adopted 'daughter' and her biography.

Only real disapointment is no input from the late Charles Tingwell which would have been nice.

Would recommend this well researched bio to anyone interested in MR.
    It's a shame the author wasn't really able to find out much about her early adulthood - she leaves school and two pages later she gets her first acting job and she's in her mid 40s by page 40. The background to her marriage is interesting - like a sex-reversal of Arthur Lowe's relationship in some ways.

Liked
    0 times
    Just finished it.Good book.Rather sad when she has the breakdown playing Mrs malaprop.She seemed to go downhill very quickly.Still though a great actress.

Senior Member Country: UK Windyridge's Avatar
    Liked
    52 times
    Just finished it too. Terrible title. It was a bit too factual after she started acting: then she did this film and then she did that theatre, etc., but as there was very little action in her private life, I suppose it was inevitable. I would have liked more comments and stories from her friends and colleagues and I did feel very sad that she played dotty old ladies for so long and then really became one.

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Couid someone please confirm on here that Charles Tingwell has passed on, only in one of the threads by Windthrop, he mentions him as "Late"Wouid be interesting as Bud Tingwell lived near us in Kentish Town London in the late 50's,early 60's.

Andy Merriman's book we shall be buying this weekend.

Liked
    492 times
    Couid someone please confirm on here that Charles Tingwell has passed on, only in one of the threads by Windthrop, he mentions him as "Late"Wouid be interesting as Bud Tingwell lived near us in Kentish Town London in the late 50's,early 60's.

Andy Merriman's book we shall be buying this weekend.
    He died last year- link

Senior Member Country: England earlb's Avatar
    Liked
    15 times
    And Melbourne did him very proud with an excellent turnout.

Liked
    44 times
    Just finished it too. Terrible title. It was a bit too factual after she started acting: then she did this film and then she did that theatre, etc., but as there was very little action in her private life, I suppose it was inevitable. I would have liked more comments and stories from her friends and colleagues and I did feel very sad that she played dotty old ladies for so long and then really became one.
    In some ways it is inevitable when when so many of her colleages are now dead but it is still the best book on her (not that the other two volumes would have been hard to beat). It is rather sad that her last film was Arabella and that the accident on it hastened her decline.

It is sad that Heroes of Comedy didn't do programme on her while that series was running, she certainly deserved it IMHO.

Liked
    67 times
    It is sad that Heroes of Comedy didn't do programme on her while that series was running, she certainly deserved it IMHO.

I never understood why she wasn't in the Heroes of Comedy series either, especially as both Alastair Sim and Joyce Grenfell were featured. There was also The Unforgettable.... series which also chose to ignore her. I can't ever recall ever seeing a profile on this wonderful lady.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast