Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator Country: Scotland
    Liked
    27 times
    It has been announced that actor Timothy Bateson passed away on Sep 16th 2009.

He began his film career on the Ealing production of Nicholas Nickleby (1947) playing Lord Fred
    erick Verisopht appearing in some other popular films of the late 1940s and early 1950s including the Boulting Brothers' commentary on class The Guinea Pig (1948), The Pat Jackson directed NHS embracing feature The White Corridors (1951) and Olivier's Richard III (1955). He was a favourite of Pat Jackson'; later turning up in What a Carve Up (1961), the CFF film Seventy Deadly Pills (1964) and his episodes of Man in a Suitcase and The Famous Five.

Film parts flagged in the late 1950s but he became more prominent in the comedies The Mouse that Roared (1959) and The Crooked Man (1960). His comedy parts in film began to shrink to bit parts in James Robertson-Justice/Leslie Phillips vehicles but he began racking a few appearances in Hammer horror features before embarking on a very prolific TV career appearing in almost every drama series filmed in the 1960s including The Avengers, Z Cars, Gideon's Way and Out of the Unknown. HE pretty much continued working solidly through the 1970s in television making a couple of film appearances. He became a regular in Grange Hill and Don't Wait Up in the 1980s as well as the revived Zorro TV series shot in Spain. He mostly in television for the rest of his career as well as voiceover work that led to his being cast as the voice of Kreacher in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, his final film, but was not cast to voice the character in the next instalment of the series in which Kreacher appears.

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    Yet another sad passing of a very fine actor.

His last film appearance was as recent as 2007 in 'Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix'.

Dave.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    R.I.P. Timothy........

would any member have a pic of Timothy to post please, i know the name but can't picture him.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark O
    R.I.P. Timothy........

would any member have a pic of Timothy to post please, i know the name but can't picture him.
    It's okay (but a pic would still be nice to see) i've just realised i once asked about him when enquired about the distinctive voiced actor in a hilarious episode of The Good life.......

"It is a fait accompli"

Margo "Oh, so we know french in Balham, but not latin"!!

Liked
    80 times

Timothy Bateson

R.I.P.

E.

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Very sad news indeed. Always a welcome face on our screens. He reminded me a little of Peter Glaze and Tony Hancock.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark O
    R.I.P. Timothy........

Here he is, Mark, as Pfeiffer in the first episode of Man In A Suitcase, Man From The Dead (1967)

Like Alfred Burke in Public Eye, Timothy played an enquiry agent, who is employed by Richard Bradford,

the star, to follow Angela Browne. A great shame that this was the only time he played the character.

R.I.P. Timothy Bateson

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    This really is sad news - Timothy Bateson was a wonderfully versatile character actor - he will always stay in my memory for the brilliant portrayal of Pfeiffer in that first episode of MAN IN A SUITCASE. Much as it pains me to admit it he could knock Richard Bradford off the screen without even trying.

He was also, of course, the prototype Basil Fawlty in an episode of the DOCTOR... series which John Cleese wrote - and marvellous he was again!

Rest in peace Timothy.

Respect.

Smudge

Senior Member Country: England phil's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Very sad news.

RIP Mr.Bateson, always memorable and one of the last of your kind I fear.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    12 times
    A lovely man and great voice. I used to see him in the corridors and lifts of BBC Broadcasting House...He did lots of Radio 4 Dramas. He would always stop for a chat...one of his favourite jobs was as the Station Master in an episode of Minder...he just loved George Cole, pity they never did a full play together. At least he was always in demand as an actor.

Film Man.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    RIP Mr Bateson.

Senior Member Country: England mallee59's Avatar
    Liked
    8 times
    RIP Mr Bateson

mallee

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Film Man
    A lovely man and great voice. At least he was always in demand as an actor.

Film Man.
    And quite rightly so...

He will be much missed.

Smudge

Senior Member Country: UK Freddy's Avatar
    Liked
    243 times
    As smudge says, a great character actor, recently seen on television as the hall porter in Mrs Palfrey at The Claremont.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cornershop15
    Very sad news indeed. Always a welcome face on our screens. He reminded me a little of Peter Glaze and Tony Hancock
    Hello all, I'm Timothy Bateson's granddaughter and it's very touching to see so many lovely comments. Thought you may find it amusing to know he was mistaken for Peter Glaze several times, even after Glaze had passed away!

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    7 times
    He was really good as the caretaker in Grange Hill - he was just like the caretakers at our school (who, like his character, were all miserable and hated kids).

Senior Member Country: UK Geoffers's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tiffrb
    Hello all, I'm Timothy Bateson's granddaughter and it's very touching to see so many lovely comments. Thought you may find it amusing to know he was mistaken for Peter Glaze several times, even after Glaze had passed away!
    I was very sorry to hear of his death. He was a marvellous actor in so many productions and I particularly remember his appearances opposite Richard Briers in "Ever Decreasing Circles".

You might be interested to know that as a relative you can arrange for a photo of him to be added to his page at IMDb.com: www.imdb.com/name/nm0061063/ free of charge.

The details are here: www.imdb.com/help/show_leaf?photosnopay

Liked
    0 times
    Hi there

I'm so glad my daughter found this website for me. My Dad is Timothy Bateson and it's so lovely to see how much his work was appreciated. I know how lucky I was to have such a creative talented man as my father and, of course, will always miss him deeply. the reason I'm making contact is that I'm trying to find some good quality (jpeg) images of him in various films of the past and wondered if you could point me in the right direction?

Many thanks

Lizzy Naylor

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Hello Lizzy. I'm really pleased you and your daughter have joined us.

It's very difficult to find good photographs of many of our character actors, especially the ones who mainly did TV work, but hopefully I can supply you with more captures like the one I did for Man in a Suitcase. I'm sure I'll find some good images for you. Watch this space!

Sorry for your loss. My own father died sixth months ago next week, aged 84.

Kindest Regards,

Cornershop

P.S. Was Timothy in an advert a couple of years ago for some sauce which was so spicy he hit the ceiling? (!)

Senior Member Country: Great Britain scenesixty's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizzy Naylor
    Hi there

I'm so glad my daughter found this website for me. My Dad is Timothy Bateson and it's so lovely to see how much his work was appreciated. I know how lucky I was to have such a creative talented man as my father and, of course, will always miss him deeply. the reason I'm making contact is that I'm trying to find some good quality (jpeg) images of him in various films of the past and wondered if you could point me in the right direction?

Many thanks

Lizzy Naylor

I have a (1963) press-still of Timothy as the barman of the hotel in Hammer's 'Nightmare' I shall try to scan this as soon as.

Best

Liked
    0 times
    Hi there

thank you for your very kind words. Anything you can find for a photograph would be wonderful. I'm not sure about the spicy hot sauce advert, but a while back he was in the advert for bisto gravy opposite Liz Smith where she tells him she's pregnant and he falls on the floor in shock! He was also in an advertisement for marmite - but that was probably 6 years ago now!

Lizzy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast