Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Hello to you all!

I have recently started a college course and the focus of the research we have to do for our first assignment is 'The Moors Murders'. I know that this will disgust some people but please resist the urge to post any damning comments here. I didn't set the assignment, I could just do with finding any documentaires anyone may have on the subject aside from 'Born to Kill' which I already have.

If anyone can help please PM me! Thankyou all!!

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Not a documentary, but a very good TV drama based on the events - See No Evil: The Moors Murders (2006). Starring Maxine Peake (Twinkle from Dinnerladies) as Hindley

Steve

Senior Member Country: Ireland fluddite's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Also from 2006 (and with Samantha Morton and Andy Serkis as Hindley and Brady): Longford (2006) (TV)

It's available on R1 DVD: [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Longford-DVD-Region-US-NTSC/dp/B000NY0YJU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1254506069&sr=1-1]Longford DVD 2007 Region 1 US Import NTSC: Amazon.co.uk: Jim Broadbent, Lindsay Duncan, Kika Markham, Robert Pugh, Anton Rodgers, Andy Serkis, Samantha Morton, Lee Boardman, Caroline Clegg, Gordon Langford Rowe, Danny Cohen, Rob Lane, Tom Hooper, Mel[/ame]

Or PM me if you want an off-air recording....

Senior Member Country: Great Britain GoggleboxUK's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    See No Evil was very good indeed.

There's also:

Being Maxine Carr: A documentary about the Soham murderer that makes many references to Hindley.

Martina Cole's Ladykillers which opened withan episode devoted to Hindley

Revealed - Myra Hindley - The Prison Years

Longford: Jim Broadbent stars as Lord Longford in this compelling and intelligent feature-length drama set in the last three decades of Lord Longford's life, during which time he famously battled to win parole for Moors murderess Myra Hindley.

The nook Beyond Belief is about the best documentation available on the Moors Murders

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    name='GoggleboxUK']The nook Beyond Belief is about the best documentation available on the Moors Murders

I agree 100% - The author also wrote a lot of material for TV and film and the book reads very much like a TV drama/documentary.

It will tell you most of what you might want to know about those terrible evemts.

Liked
    1 times
    name='GoggleboxUK']See No Evil was very good indeed.

The book Beyond Belief is about the best documentation available on the Moors Murders

Concur, and of course written by Emlyn Williams

Warning: This clip contains some graphic descriptions!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0zOzfuN958]YouTube - davidsmith01[/ame]

Not sure as to which documentary this come from, but the poster has a number of clips from it.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain scenesixty's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times
    name='Tony Pendrey']I agree 100% - The author also wrote a lot of material for TV and film and the book reads very much like a TV drama/documentary.

It will tell you most of what you might want to know about those terrible evemts.

This book by Williams: I disagree about it being the best on the subject, far more factual and based on real evidence (not) surmise, is a book from 1966 'The Monsters Of The Moors' by John Deane Potter-by referencing neighbours quotes from the surrounding housing estate, backgrounds of the pair etc. Very hard to track down.Another hard to locate (Sky) docu-drama was 'Beyond Grief' from 1996.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    2 times
    A recent book on the subject is 'The Lost Boy' by Duncan Staff. Staff had contact with Hindley and had access to her several accounts of the case. Well worth reading. Also available now, in the National Archives, are the records and exhibits of the trial of Brady and Hindley, link Records released under Freedom of Information in December 2005 - Page 1 of 6 | The National Archives

Might be useful for your course.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain GoggleboxUK's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    I became interested in the Moors Murders because of a friend from University.

His mother went to the same school as Hindley and they were friends.

She showed me school photographs and told me the chilling story of how she'd been out shortly after giving birth to her son (my friend) and had bumped into Hindley who chatted for a while and held the baby in her arms. The timing of this was roughly around the date of the murder of Edward Evans.

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for all the replies guys! I have mostthings now but there are a few I would still like to get hold of if anyone knows of anyone who can help;

Brass Tacks; Myra Hindley - 6 July 1977

Panorama: Myra Hindley Debate TX. 24th November 1997

Any help would be gratefully received!!!!

Liked
    5 times
    name='Dave Cigs']Thanks for all the replies guys! I have mostthings now but there are a few I would still like to get hold of if anyone knows of anyone who can help;

Brass Tacks; Myra Hindley - 6 July 1977

Panorama: Myra Hindley Debate TX. 24th November 1997

Any help would be gratefully received!!!!

The Crime & Investigation Channel has a new new docu on Moors Killers Brady & Myra on Sunday 15nth Nov which will be screened three times on the day!

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks scenesixty!!!

Liked
    5 times
    name='Dave Cigs']Thanks scenesixty!!!
    Your welcome!

Myra then 23 when arrested in October 1965 was a very tough nut indeed, when detectives took it turn to interview her in Hyde police-station, she was incredibly stony, she wouldn't answer a question, under the toughest interrogation by senior experienced officers. Detective Policewoman Margaret Campion recalled: "All she was concerned about was her dog.. I couldn't get anything out of her at all" Myra's general demeanor and refusal to answer questions, confirmed officer's suspicions that she was the tougher member of the evil pair.

Furthermore Myra was free for four days before her arrest-free to destroy incriminating evidence at the workplace she shared with Brady.

Brady & Myra's remand apperances at Hyde-there were several on separate murder charges-were a huge pain for police for security reasons-on each appearance the crowds got noisier and different entrance and exit routes were chosen at the Magistrates court-then part of Hyde town hall. The downstairs cells of Hyde police station were where Brady and Myra's arrest mug-shot photographs were taken after their arrest in October 1965. Hindley's composure was astonishing: "I didn't do it" "Ian didn't do it" "I suggest you see Smith!" her resolve and strength was chilling during the many long and tough interviews.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    13 times
    I have never revisited the Moors Murders since readng "Beyond Belief" more than 20 years ago. Does anyone think I have missed anything since then ?

Liked
    5 times
    name='billy bentley']I have never revisited the Moors Murders since readng "Beyond Belief" more than 20 years ago. Does anyone think I have missed anything since then ?

Not really: This documentary on the C & I channel just revisits the case in the sixties with one of the original investigating officers. 'Beyond Belief' the book-it's not 'the best' book on the case as some believe-far more factual and real was the book called 'The Monsters Of The Moors' (1966) by John Deane Potter-now impossible to get hold off.

Liked
    0 times
    The Devil's Disciples: Moors Murders is a book by Robert Wilson. I used it whilst on a course many moons ago. There are tons for just a penny on Amazon Sellers.

It is not that long - but could make a valuable contribution to your research. Although documentaries can give you 'atmosphere' and a reasonable overview (and can be credited in your footnotes) it's always a good idea to have a few bibiliographical references up your sleeve!

The best of luck in your endeavours.

Liked
    5 times
    If Dave is still doing his research, out comes a new book on Moors killer Myra on April 1st: 'One Of Our Own' based on extensive research, fresh interviews, hundreds of newly released documents and Hindley's own outpouring of her 'autobiography' before her demise in November 2002! By Carol Ann Lee.

Liked
    5 times
    name='scenesixty']Your welcome!

Myra then 23 when arrested in October 1965 was a very tough nut indeed, when detectives took it turn to interview her in Hyde police-station, she was incredibly stony, she wouldn't answer a question, under the toughest interrogation by senior experienced officers. Detective Policewoman Margaret Campion recalled: "All she was concerned about was her dog.. I couldn't get anything out of her at all" Myra's general demeanor and refusal to answer questions, confirmed officer's suspicions that she was the tougher member of the evil pair.

Furthermore Myra was free for four days before her arrest-free to destroy incriminating evidence at the workplace she shared with Brady.

Brady & Myra's remand apperances at Hyde-there were several on separate murder charges-were a huge pain for police for security reasons-on each appearance the crowds got noisier and different entrance and exit routes were chosen at the Magistrates court-then part of Hyde town hall. The downstairs cells of Hyde police station were where Brady and Myra's arrest mug-shot photographs were taken after their arrest in October 1965. Hindley's composure was astonishing: "I didn't do it" "Ian didn't do it" "I suggest you see Smith!" her resolve and strength was chilling during the many long and tough interviews.

Philip (Hindley) May be interested in the new book out soon on moors killer Myra out on April 1st 'One Of Our Own' by Carol Ann Lee.

Senior Member Country: Ireland
    Liked
    9 times
    One Of Our Own is incredibly well researched, fascinating and disturbing.
    It's the only book I've read on the case, but I can't imagine there being a better one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast