Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi there,

When I was a child I watched a tiny snippet of a film that wasn't appropriate for my age and gave me nightmares for weeks - i'm trying to track down the film so that I can watch it as an adult :-)

In the snippet I saw there are a man and woman in an apartment. The lady leans over a large fish tank and the man comes up behind her and attacks her with a knife, cutting off her head which falls into the tank and turns the water bloody.

The man then rolls the headless body up in a carpet and puts it out with the bins.

This was all that I saw but it was enough to terrify my 5 year old self. I would have seen this round about 1982 I think, certainly no earlier than that but possibly a few years later and it was on television.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Shell

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Could this be the portmanteau movie Asylum (1972), starring Robert Powell? It was actually Richard Todd who was in the segment I'm thinking of, murdering and then dismembering beautiful wife Sylvia Syms. Not sure there was a fishtank though!

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Sounds like Night School (1980), starring the delectable Rachel Ward:

The Terror Trap: Night School

Comment from imdb reviewer: "The old head in a fish tank routine."

Senior Member Country: United States Reeldigger's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    name='shell_8']Hi there

In the snippet I saw there are a man and woman in an apartment. The lady leans over a large fish tank and the man comes up behind her and attacks her with a knife, cutting off her head which falls into the tank and turns the water bloody.

The man then rolls the headless body up in a carpet and puts it out with the bins.

This was all that I saw but it was enough to terrify my 5 year old self. I would have seen this round about 1982 I think, certainly no earlier than that but possibly a few years later and it was on television.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Shell

The time-line fits The Silent Partner which includes a grisly scene involving a a female victim and a fish tank. Some of the other details don't quite fit. The body is disposed of by wrapping her in a carpet only to be dumped in a trench at a construction site where she is promptly buried under a ton of wet concrete.

Good film, Canadian-made, with Elliott Gould, Susanah York and, as a particularly kinky villain, Christopher Plummer.

Senior Member Country: UK frame69's Avatar
    Liked
    15 times
    I've seen something similar to this but the body was wrapped in brown paper and stored in the deep freeze in the cellar.

Liked
    0 times
    i'm with reeldigger on this one, it has to be silent partner, this is a wicked film to watch, pops up on sky every now and then on i think movies for men channel.

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    I've seen The Silent Partner, many years ago on BBC1 (a Friday night in the mid-Eighties, when they showed a lot of 1970s films) and only recall the end where Christopher Plummer fell to his death down an escalator (in a shopping mall?), dressed as Santa Claus! How could I forget that moment?! I cannot recall anything about a 'Fishtank Murder', however ... but bow to your superior knowledge/more recent memories.

No MovieGoods stills and lobby cards this time?

'faid not - they have just one poster, duplicated three times.

Liked
    0 times
    the silent partner is avaliable at amazon but is a R1 disc (shame about the artwork)

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B000MMMTCS/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new]Amazon.co.uk: Used and New: The Silent Partner [DVD] [1978] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC][/ame]

there are a few copies on dvd on ebay but the prices are ridiculous, also a rare original vhs copy (with the better artwork)

THE SILENT PARTNER-RARE-IPC-PRE CERT-DELETED on eBay (end time 06-Oct-09 17:58:32 BST)

Senior Member Country: UK Matron Whippy's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    night of the living dead.. i was scared for weeks..

Liked
    0 times
    name='dubster75']the silent partner is avaliable at amazon but is a R1 disc (shame about the artwork)

Amazon.co.uk: Used and New: The Silent Partner [DVD] [1978] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]

there are a few copies on dvd on ebay but the prices are ridiculous, also a rare original vhs copy (with the better artwork)

THE SILENT PARTNER-RARE-IPC-PRE CERT-DELETED on eBay (end time 06-Oct-09 17:58:32 BST)

I had the UK pre-cert video, and the Japanese LD, before settling on the R1 DVD. A terrific little film.

Liked
    0 times
    Could it be Eyes of a Stranger (1980). Saw this on video years ago. A female character's head does end up in a fish tank, as far as I can recall.

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Apparently, there are a lot of movies where a woman's head ends up in a fish bowl.

Liked
    0 times
    It's art imitating life. After all, barely a week goes by when I don't read about such things in the paper. Only yesterday.. etc.

name='will.15']Apparently, there are a lot of movies where a woman's head ends up in a fish bowl.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    name='pod1969']It's art imitating life. After all, barely a week goes by when I don't read about such things in the paper. Only yesterday.. etc.

But did you get the meet the perps?

Liked
    0 times
    Thankfully, no - at least, not that I know of.

Liked
    0 times
    BTW I saw Silent Partner on Canadian TV in the late 70's. Interestingly all the violence was cut (no heads in fish tanks).

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    definitely Silent Partner where christopher Plummer cuts his girl friends head off on the broken glass of the fish tank because she has not set up Elliot Gould who has stolen the money Christopher Plummer was meant to have, but he has got the blame

Liked
    0 times
    Can I mention a radio programme? I still remember during the dark days of rationing (!) when we only had the radio I was aged under ten and a radio play was about a spinny with a strange man who occupied it (or something, I have always been scared of woods since). The play finished with the character knocking on a cottage door and when the woman looked at her path it had animal feet on it!

Senior Member Country: United States torinfan's Avatar
    Liked
    71 times
    name='will.15']Apparently, there are a lot of movies where a woman's head ends up in a fish bowl.

That's a scary thought!

Liked
    0 times
    Think I remember the film, and it has to be the Silent Partner with Elliot Gould, Christoper Plummer and Suzanna York. It was an early 1970's film and the scene involved Christopher Plummer decapitating the a girl by pushig her head down onto the top of a Fish Tank. Quite a gruesome scene if I remember it rightly. I owned the film on VHS in the 80's, but unfortunately I got rid of it ages a go. Hope that helps. Simon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast