Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked
    0 times
    Given the debate that seems to rage about RG i am surprised that i appear that i am the first to post on the film.I went to see it yesterday afternoon and i have to say very quickly fell asleep.Alas i had woken up at 6am and obviously had difficulty getting back to sleep given the excitement at the thought of seeing this film.It is a one joke film which palls very quickly.In fact i cannot remember having laughed out loud once.His character is similar to the one in "Extras".So my advice is if you are an insomniac this is definately the film for you.

Senior Member Country: United States theuofc's Avatar
    Liked
    399 times
    name='orpheum']Given the debate that seems to rage about RG i am surprised that i appear that i am the first to post on the film.I went to see it yesterday afternoon and i have to say very quickly fell asleep.Alas i had woken up at 6am and obviously had difficulty getting back to sleep given the excitement at the thought of seeing this film.It is a one joke film which palls very quickly.In fact i cannot remember having laughed out loud once.His character is similar to the one in "Extras".So my advice is if you are an insomniac this is definately the film for you.

Hello, Orpheum,

The film may not have been funny, but I find your review of it most amusing.

All best,

Barbara

Senior Member Country: Scotland narabdela's Avatar
    Liked
    20 times
    All the reviews I've read so far seem to agree that this is a most unfunny comedy.

Have the 'meedya' seen the naked Emperor at last?

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    name='narabdela']All the reviews I've read so far seem to agree that this is a most unfunny comedy.

Have the 'meedya' seen the naked Emperor at last?

Four stars in the Guardian

Senior Member Country: United States Lord Lionheart's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    It seems Ricky Gervais is the latest flavor of the month for this very British custom of building home grown talent up to great heights of fame, then tearing them down again before they get too big for thier boots, while being highly jealous of anyone who makes a success (money) of their particular field of endeavor, especially if they seem a bit common.

Past recipients of this prize including Messrs. Beckham, Ross & Ramsey may now stand down.

Very interesting in a middle-class reverse snobbery social and foreign culture studies type of way

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    name='CaptainWaggett']Four stars in the Guardian

Two stars in The Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/f...ng-review.html#

I wonder if we're gonna get a review vs review battle as we did with Quantum of Solace!

Liked
    0 times
    Many of the papers gave it 4 stars but as far as i am concerned this was a waste of timeand unfunny

Liked
    492 times
    I enjoyed it but I'm not going to try and persuade anyone who dislikes Mr Gervais to go see it - it's pretty obvious what you're going to get and it doesn't hold any surprises so it's not going to make any converts. In a near-empty cinema (it was an afternoon showing in a leafy suburb), there were quite a few laughs from the audience (including me at Stephan Merchant's cameo)

BTW the film is full of references to Mr G being chubby and unnattractive.

Liked
    0 times
    I also saw the film in a cinema in a leafy suburb.So you were the so and so trying to keep me awake!

Liked
    492 times
    name='orpheum']I also saw the film in a cinema in a leafy suburb.So you were the so and so trying to keep me awake!

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    name='CaptainWaggett']I enjoyed it but I'm not going to try and persuade anyone who dislikes Mr Gervais to go see it - it's pretty obvious what you're going to get and it doesn't hold any surprises so it's not going to make any converts. In a near-empty cinema (it was an afternoon showing in a leafy suburb), there were quite a few laughs from the audience (including me at Stephan Merchant's cameo)

BTW the film is full of references to Mr G being chubby and unnattractive.

When you're chubby, you know you're chubby. I don't think Gervais' ego has to do with his physical attributes. I haven't seen the film, but one reviewer claimed Gervais acted like he was God's gift to women in it. If true, that sounds like he's come down with Woody Allen syndrome where he still acts like a dweeb, but beautiful women find him irresistable, like in Allen's Manhattan.

Liked
    492 times
    name='will.15']When you're chubby, you know you're chubby. I don't think Gervais' ego has to do with his physical attributes. I haven't seen the film, but one reviewer claimed Gervais acted like he was God's gift to women in it. If true, that sounds like he's come down with Woody Allen syndrome where he still acts like a dweeb, but beautiful women find him irresistable, like in Allen's Manhattan.

The whole point of Gervais' character in the film is that women don't find him attractive (though he does end up with with Jennifer Garner, this being a romcom after all, though it's made very clear this is despite his appearance). It really isn't anything like the ludicrous situation in say, Everyone Says I Love You where people try to work out just why Julia Roberts doesn't fancy Woody Allen or Mighty Aphrodite where nobody comments on the unlikeliness of Helena Bonham Carter and Allen as a couple.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='orpheum']Many of the papers gave it 4 stars but as far as i am concerned this was a waste of timeand unfunny

Metro gave it two stars out of five and a quite scathing review

... Still, you'd expect more of the first feature that's actually penned by him, wouldn't you? Well, don't...

... However, taking on big themes of love, sex, religion and death doesn't make Gervais the new Woody Allen (even if he uses the same font on his credits).

... That said, go in with (very) low expectations and they may just be surpassed.

Steve

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    Is Poor old Ricky having a bad time of it over the pond with his new flick?

Ricky Gervais's new movie The Invention of Lying flops at U.S. box office | Mail Online

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='wellpip']Is Poor old Ricky having a bad time of it over the pond with his new flick?

Ricky Gervais's new movie The Invention of Lying flops at U.S. box office | Mail Online

Hooray

For once I'm pleased about something written in the Daily Wail.

And having seen similar reports in other places, I also know that they reported this accurately

Steve

Senior Member Country: United States theuofc's Avatar
    Liked
    399 times
    name='orpheum']I also saw the film in a cinema in a leafy suburb.So you were the so and so trying to keep me awake!

One of your best, Orpheum! Every time I read CaptW's post and then your response, I start laughing. hahahahah

Senior Member Country: Scotland narabdela's Avatar
    Liked
    20 times
    name='Steve Crook']Hooray

For once I'm pleased about something written in the Daily Wail.

Steady on!

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    1 times
    I thought I was in the minority in finding RG about as funny as cholera.

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    name='PS68060']I thought I was in the minority in finding RG about as funny as cholera.

I strongly disagree. He's funnier than cholera.

Liked
    0 times
    name='Steve Crook']Metro gave it two stars out of five and a quite scathing review

... Still, you'd expect more of the first feature that's actually penned by him, wouldn't you? Well, don't...

... However, taking on big themes of love, sex, religion and death doesn't make Gervais the new Woody Allen (even if he uses the same font on his credits).

... That said, go in with (very) low expectations and they may just be surpassed.

Steve

Cruel but fair words.

However, they pale alongside these reality checks..

"The striving to appear intellectual is much too apparent...Action gives way to talk,some of it flat and dreary."

"The concept and indeed the execution are grandiose but the views expressed are so trite that you are unlikely to even award the thing the marks it deserves for audacity."

"Irritatingly crude- directed like a dirge,grotesquely acted...insistently trite and far too long"

"..the pervasive attitude in and toward the picture makes it, as a whole, tedious and vulgar."

Fred

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast