Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    No, Billy, only that it was filmed in England and that it was Walt Disney's first live action feature without any animation sequences. However, originally, there was a scene near the beginning of the film where Blind Pew (John Laurie), having delivered the Black Spot to Billy Bones, gets run down and killed by a coach and horses as he's leaving the Admiral Benbow inn. Although the Walt Disney DVD of the film says it's the full, uncut, theatrical version, this scene is missing from it. The scene was in the film when I went to see it at the cinema as a re-issue in both 1962 and 1972.

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    That Disney movie is listed as a British film, as are other Disney films like Swiss Family Robinson, but not Mary Poppins. Did Disney have a British studio facility for a while and is that the reason they're classified as British?

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    13 times
    darrenburnfan, or anyone else for that matter - do we know if the Blind Pew gets run down scene appears in the VHS version ?

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    Will: I seem to recall that early Walt Disney pictures filmed in England were made at Denham studios and Shepperton studios. I'll have a look on the credits to see if it mentions which studio Treasure Island was made at.

Billy: I have the PAL VHS version and the Blind Pew being run down sequence is also missing from that one as well. The prints used for both the PAL VHS and Region 2 DVD were probably of US origin. It's possible that UK cinema exhibition prints, long withdrawn from release, may still exist that contain the sequence.

Senior Member Country: Germany
    Liked
    0 times
    In 1966 there was a four part mini series in the German tele. For me this was much better than the brilliant Disney version. It was a German-British-French production starring Ivor Dean as John Silver. It is still shown in Germany from time to time and is available on DVD - but it has only the original German sound.

If you'd like to check it use amazon.de or IMDB. The German title is DIE SCHATZINSEL.

Senior Member Country: Australia wadsy's Avatar
    Liked
    40 times
    Just had a look. I just can't imagine Ivor Dean as "Long John Silver"!

Senior Member Country: Germany
    Liked
    0 times
    Look here at youtube and you will hear the title song and see photos from the series - also Ivor Dean!

Link: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4YJ-zFp8os&feature=related]YouTube - Die Schatzinsel - Treasure Island - 1966 - Theme[/ame]

Senior Member Country: Australia wadsy's Avatar
    Liked
    40 times
    Its certainly a rousing title song!

Senior Member Country: England Maurice's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    DVD (subtitles) released 11/01/10

Hi Billy,

If your youngest son wishes to learn Russian, this is a faithful adaptation of the story - complete with Blind Pew's death, missing from the Disney version.

Estonian actor Aare Laanemets (06/02/1954 - 28/10/2000) was an older 'Jim Hawkins' compared to Jackie Cooper or Bobby Driscoll.

Maurice

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    I am pretty sure there was a BBC black and white classic serial version in the mid to late 60s. I must look out my old Radio Times to see if I can find out anything about it.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    There was a 1968 BBC version with Peter Vaughn as Silver.

Liked
    182 times
    name='batman']There was a 1968 BBC version with Peter Vaughn as Silver.

Thank you, that's the one I was remembering.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='batman']There was a 1968 BBC version with Peter Vaughn as Silver.
    There were extracts from that in the recent BBC4 documentary about people writing about the sea

Art of the Sea: In Words

Steve

Liked
    182 times
    name='Steve Crook']There were extracts from that in the recent BBC4 documentary about people writing about the sea

Art of the Sea: In Words

Steve

Thanks for that, Steve - I was glad to see Anthony Bate there, as I recalled in was in that version, as well as the later one made in the 70s.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    4 times
    name='wadsy']Just had a look. I just can't imagine Ivor Dean as "Long John Silver"!

It appears that Ivor Dean also wrote episodes of the 1986 TV series Return To Treasure Island. I remember this vertion as Brian Blessed plays Silver as a one legged Prince Vultan.

Liked
    1 times
    Wasn't there a Channel 4 version in the 90s starring Michael Elphick or did I imagine it.

Liked
    1 times
    A web search reveals that I was right about the 90s version starring Michael Elphick (as Billy Bones) and, apparently, it was directed by none other than Ken Russell, made in 1995. I'll see if it's out on DVD (I doubt it), if not I'll post a request for a copy. I saw it when it was first shown (on Channel 4, I think).

http://www.channel4.com/apps26/film/...n.jsp?id=29160

http://www.film4.com/reviews/1995/ke...reasure-island

Update: No DVD available.

Senior Member Country: UK Mr Sloane's Avatar
    Liked
    239 times
    name='Harbottle']If you can find it the 1977 BBC Treasure Island starring Alfred Burke as LJS is a superb adaptation I think. Released only on VHS, though it has been uploaded to one of the usual places fairly recently

I agree I loved this version when I saw it a great cast, faithfull to the book and very atmospheric.

Senior Member Country: England phil's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Recently watched the 1990 version, I thought it was OK but lacked any of the magic and sense of adventure that some of the earlier versions had. I did'nt think Charlton Heston was very memorable as Silver and Christian Bale, apart from being too old, was terrible as Jim. The action scenes were very well done though and Oliver Reed brilliantly bulldozes his way through the opening 20 minutes, he would have made a splendid (possibly legless) Silver.
    Oh, and we did'nt see enough of the parrot!

Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    There was a 85 version of this film starring Martin Landau, and the late Victor French out of Highway to Heaven.Keep our fingers crossed it comes on the new Sky tv movie channel . Would love to see this version.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast