Thread: Forgotten movie

Liked
    0 times
    HI

Can anyone help me to remember the title of a movie i remember seeing in the 70's.

i have only vague memories of it and nothing is for sure.

could be British or American but i feel the actors were British...it was about a brother and sister - mid 20's maybe and maybe not even brother & sister but i get the feeling they were... - who go on holiday together - again not sure if abroad or uk, they check into a rather plush hotel with rooms next to each other, soon the brother goes missing and when the sister inquires about him nobody seems to remember him and everyone says he was never with her - didn't check in with her or was in the next room - I think the management indulged her a bit and showed her the room next to her - when they first checked in they had adjoining rooms but after he went missing there was no room next to hers, it was a cleaning cupboard or something and the next room was further down the corridor and jumped to a different room number that couldn't have been next to hers in the first place

I would love to see this movie again as its always been a standing joke with my mother and I of the 'remember i'm here' comment. I can't even remember how the story ended but feel sure the sister was right all along and her brother was with her but in some conspiracy plot was kidnapped for some reason.

helpppppp...I would love to see this film again

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    So Long at the Fair is a period film with that sort of plot

Senior Member Country: UK charliekane's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times
    name='CaptainWaggett']So Long at the Fair is a period film with that sort of plot

It's the sister who goes missing while the brother (Dirk Bogarde) searches for her. If I remember rightly it's loosely based on a true story - the hotel boarded up the room and removed the girl who they feared had the plague and they didn't want it to panic guests and ruin their holiday season (is it during a World's Fair or something ?) In the film she is eventually found being cared for in a monastery or convent or something of the sort. Haven't seen it for years.

Senior Member Country: Aaland dremble wedge's Avatar
    Liked
    85 times
    name='charliekane']It's the sister who goes missing while the brother (Dirk Bogarde) searches for her. If I remember rightly it's loosely based on a true story - the hotel boarded up the room and removed the girl who they feared had the plague and they didn't want it to panic guests and ruin their holiday season (is it during a World's Fair or something ?) In the film she is eventually found being cared for in a monastery or convent or something of the sort. Haven't seen it for years.

Nope it's David Tomlinson (Jean Simmons' brother in the film) who goes missing and Dirk Bogarde helps her look for him.

Liked
    492 times
    name='charliekane']It's the sister who goes missing while the brother (Dirk Bogarde) searches for her. If I remember rightly it's loosely based on a true story - the hotel boarded up the room and removed the girl who they feared had the plague and they didn't want it to panic guests and ruin their holiday season (is it during a World's Fair or something ?) In the film she is eventually found being cared for in a monastery or convent or something of the sort. Haven't seen it for years.

It's the brother goes missing in So Long at the Fair. He's played by David Tomlinson while Dirk helps in the search

Senior Member Country: UK charliekane's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times
    name='CaptainWaggett']It's the brother goes missing in So Long at the Fair. He's played by David Tomlinson while Dirk helps in the search

Sorry - like I said, haven't seen it for years.

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    It was mentioned a few day ago on the What I Watched Last Night thread. It is not based on a true story but is an urban legend (told by people as true, but didn't happen) and was first mentioned in print by Alexander Woolcott, who heard it, investigated it, and concluded it didn't happen. Very good movie and that has to be it. A slightly different version appeared in an early episode of Alfred Hitchcock Presents and it is believed it inspired Hitchcock's classic movie, The Lady Vanishes (different story).

Senior Member Country: England woody123's Avatar
    Liked
    11 times
    I'm sure I've seen a more modern version of the tale .I remember realising that the film I was watching was very similar to So Long At The Fairand therefore knew how it would turn out.It may have been a US tv movie possibly 1980's

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    6 times
    The bit about the vanishing hotel room is a plot device in M R James' "Number Thirteen" which was the BBC's Ghost Story for Christmas a couple of years ago.

Liked
    492 times
    This article has more than you probably want to know about the variants of the story though it only mentions a couple of versions where it's a brother who has disappeared

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Sounds like "FRANTIC" (1988) starring Harrison Ford

Liked
    0 times
    That scholarly type of writing can drive you nuts, but a lot of good information there. It's been a long time since I read that Woolcott article, so I don't recall if any of the versions he heard had the brother go missing, but he does describe minor differences he heard, like where the incident took place, what year, etc. But clearly, So long at the Fair and the Hitchcock TV episode is telling the same story, the latter more faithful to the original; while The Lady Vanishes and Bunny Lake is Missing just uses the basic premise.

Liked
    0 times
    I just found out there is another version of this story, a low budget American movie, Midnight Warning (1932). Brother and sister check into hotel, brother goes missing, everyone at the hotel denies he was there, and sister who insists he was starts to doubt her sanity. It may have been advertised as "based on a true story," but it's really the same urban legend that was the inspiration for So Long at the Fair. Interestingly, the "facts" of the story usually has the missing person as the young woman's mother, aunt, or grandmother, but in both movie versions it's her brother.

Senior Member Country: United States torinfan's Avatar
    Liked
    71 times
    name='CaptainWaggett']This article has more than you probably want to know about the variants of the story though it only mentions a couple of versions where it's a brother who has disappeared

Her's another article on the same plot:

snopes.com: The Vanishing Hotel Room

I first read about the Exposition story in a book I used to have on unexplained mysteries.

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    Hammer's The Kiss of the Vampire (1964) pinches a little bit of the plot too, and ironically that one is directed by Don Sharp and not Hammer regular and So Long . . . co-director, Terence Fisher.

Senior Member Country: United States theuofc's Avatar
    Liked
    399 times
    name='CaptainWaggett']This article has more than you probably want to know about the variants of the story though it only mentions a couple of versions where it's a brother who has disappeared

Thanks, CaptainWaggett. I wasn't aware of this article and am glad to have access to it. Imagine: an International Society for Contemporary Legend Research.

Barbara

Liked
    1 times
    I too saw So Long at the Fair in the 80's and it stuck in my head for years until I saw it again about 10 years ago.

I think I have seen a similar version of the story, possible a TV drama/film were they break into the sealed room years later to find it covered in dust.

Liked
    0 times
    There was a tv version in the 60s can only remember that Philip Latham played the missing brother.

Liked
    492 times
    name='philip hindley']There was a tv version in the 60s can only remember that Philip Latham played the missing brother.

Perhaps The Moving Toyshop in which a murder is committed but the actual crime scene disappears